CultureFamily TravelNorwayTravel

99 Things to Do in Oslo, Norway

If you are looking for a vacation with a whole lot of variety and never a dull moment, Oslo, Norway is the place for you. Rich in culture and history, Oslo prides itself on its ancestry and strong traditions.

No matter the season, it’s easy to fill your days with a variety of adventures. There aren’t many places you can go zip-lining, view art by Edvard Munch, see ancient Viking ships, and bike the country side, all in one day, but you can in Oslo.

Holmenkollen VisitOSLO Charlotte Bjorndalseter

credit: VisitOSLO Charlotte Bjorndalseter

Winter falls between December and March making Oslo a snowy paradise, perfect for a ski getaway.

Winter Activities

June through August is pleasantly warm because of the gulf stream waters and its summer average is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Zipline VisitOSLO Preben Stene larsen

Credit: VisitOSLO Preben Stene Larsen

Summer Activities

Recreation

Oslofjord VisitOSLO Sabine Zoller

credit: VisitOSLO Sabine Zoller

Relaxation

Norway is home to famous artists such as Edvard Munch, the creator of The Scream and playwright Henrik Ibsen, commonly known as the “father of realism”. Oslo celebrates these talented natives with museums dedicated to their work. In addition, there are galleries full of everything from famous canvases to the world’s largest mini-bottle collection. There is such a wide selection of things to see you’ll find it hard to choose.

things to do in oslo norway

credit: David Mark

Museums

One of the best things about vacation is the local food and Oslo is bursting with restaurants and cafes. They have dishes from around the world and seating with atmosphere so it’s easy to enjoy the rooftop views, deliciously exotic dishes, and a new restaurant every night.

Food

Grab a flick at one of the many cinemas or go out for a night on the town and learn to Tango! Oslo has an incredible night life.

oslo norway

credit: alexandra gutthenbach-lindau

Entertainment

Shopping

Oslo is a great place for a family getaway. There is plenty to keep the kids busy and entertain the adults too.

child in oslo norway

credit: Sharon Ang

Kids

Like everything else, there is also a wide variety of accommodations available in Oslo. Whatever your style preference, from the ornate historical buildings to the high rise luxury suites, every room offers a unique experience.

Hotels

Clearly, Oslo is a bustling city that has attractions to fill an entire lifetime. Which will you choose to explore?

99 things to do in oslo norway twitter

Pin this post for later!

There aren't many places you can go zip-lining, view art by Edvard Munch, see ancient Viking ships, and bike the country side, all in one day, but you can in Oslo, Norway via @jeanabeena #travel
Kait

Kait

Kaitlin tries to live her life according to the words of Theodore Roosevelt, “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, and difficulty.” As a marathon runner, aspiring writer, and lover of travel, she lives each day to find the next adventure to take her out of her comfort zone. She hopes to inspire and encourage others with her words.

How to Get a Copy of Your Birth Certificate When You Need it FAST

How to Make the Ultimate Mint Cookies and Coffee Milkshake

1. Balem
    August 11, 2015 at 4:30 am — Reply

A cousin of mine lived in Oslo, Norway and he told me a little about the place and about its beauty. All of his opinions shows that a very nice place. I just really hope that soon we”l get the chance to explore the place. I mean me and my family and surly we’ll have fun there.

2. February 17, 2015 at 10:07 pm — Reply

I bet skiing in Oslo Norway is amazing. When I think of traveling abroad, I don’t really think about Norway or any countries close by. Now, I am more interested in this region. I would want to explore the food, museums and natural wonders, like waterfalls.

3. February 17, 2015 at 8:28 pm — Reply

Ohhh, this sounds amazing! Oslo (or more just Norway itself) has always been somewhere that I would actually like to visit. I lived in the UK for a year and it ruined me for travelling so, now, I’m a homebody. I feel that my own country, Canada, has so much to explore before I travel anywhere else but I’ve always thought of Norway as somewhere that might be beautiful to explore. I love their policy in regards to the environment and chemicals within products.

4. Bonnie @ wemake7
    February 16, 2015 at 6:05 pm — Reply

I’ve never been to Norway and not sure if I’ll ever make it there but would love to! Looks like a great place to visit and lots to do to keep busy.

5. Eliz Frank
    February 16, 2015 at 4:09 pm — Reply

What a beautiful country with so much to offer. I’d love to visit some day and hang out for a while… doing all the fun things you mentioned and more.

6. February 16, 2015 at 3:03 pm — Reply

I have always wanted to travel to Europe. Norway would definitely be on my list!

7. nazma
    February 16, 2015 at 12:39 pm — Reply

Beautiful article. Thanx for sharing .. i’d love to go to oslo … only reason i always feel litlle lazy is the cold :/ i love summer sunny places.. but definatly cold places has also thier beauty

8. February 16, 2015 at 12:26 pm — Reply

Gorgeous views! I’d love to visit Norway something, and it sounds like there’s plenty to do whenever I get that chance someday! :)

9. Courtney
    February 16, 2015 at 10:35 am — Reply

omg these all sound like such fun things!!!i wanna go to Norway! Maybe one day ;-)

10. February 16, 2015 at 10:14 am — Reply

There really are so many things we want to see and do in Oslo and the general area. I think it could easily be a month-long trip if you extended to Copenhagen too. We’d love to go!

11. February 16, 2015 at 9:55 am — Reply

This is a fantastic list! My family is from Norway (with one living relative still there.. she’s about 90 now!) and we visited in 2003. We traveled all over the country with a few days spent in Oslo… gorgeous! I really hope to go back someday with my husband and kids!

12. February 16, 2015 at 8:30 am — Reply

Oslo is on my bucket list. It is so beautiful and LOTS of activities to do

13. February 16, 2015 at 6:41 am — Reply

We were stationed in the UK for a few years but did not make it to Norway! We did travel quite a bit and would love to go back. I would put Norway on the top of the list! Great ideas!

14. February 16, 2015 at 5:45 am — Reply

Visiting Norway would be amazing! I hadn’t really considered it since I have so many other places I would want to see first, but these sound like amazing things to do!

15. February 15, 2015 at 6:42 pm — Reply

I’ve heard that Norway was beautiful. There’s certainly no shortage of things to do!

16. February 15, 2015 at 6:30 pm — Reply

I love planning ahead and knowing what i want to do on my vacation. Norway is such a beautiful country and it’s on one of my Top Ten places to visit ♥

17. kendall
    February 15, 2015 at 5:42 pm — Reply

Wow, sounds like an awesome experience! What a cool place to visit!

18. February 15, 2015 at 3:40 pm — Reply

Looks amazing! One of my best friends is originally from Norway, and every time she goes home and tells me about the things she did I am jealous!

19. Mel
    February 15, 2015 at 12:05 pm — Reply

What a neat place to go visit. I want to visit.

20. February 15, 2015 at 11:01 am — Reply

This looks like a great vacation place and that zip line looks awesome! I’ve been wanting to do that for years now. It’s great that there is so much to do, even entertainment for the kids.

21. February 11, 2015 at 12:59 pm — Reply

I would love to visit Norway one day. It looks so fun!

22. February 11, 2015 at 12:40 pm — Reply

Looks like such an amazing place for adventure!!

23. February 11, 2015 at 9:36 am — Reply

I’ve never been there before but it looks like a wonderful place!

24. February 11, 2015 at 8:55 am — Reply

I’d love to spend some time in that part of Europe, for sure! I hope to do that one day and start checking off this list.

25. February 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm — Reply

Those are some amazing pictures. There is so many things to do.

26. February 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm — Reply

Oh man, my mom’s family all lives in Norway, I have always wanted to go!

27. February 10, 2015 at 1:32 pm — Reply

If I were to go it would be between June and August–I am not into winter sports! I would love to see the museums and learn the history and see one of those viking boats! Maybe someday—

28. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    February 10, 2015 at 1:24 pm — Reply

I had no idea there was so much to do there. I would love to visit someday!