Is it Thursday already? Yes! That means its time to share a new Vegan recipe from my buddy Carolyn :) Being in Southern California and having a hankering for Mexican food, this vegan breakfast burrito recipe is definitely at the top of my list! My favorite thing about “breakfast” burritos is that they are like pancakes…delicious any time of day!
Check out this Caribbean version of the classic made with my favorite, black beans!
- 2-4 organic flour tortillas
- 1 small, sliced avocado
- 1/2C salsa
- Caribbean Tofu Scramble
- 1 lg block of firm tofu, pressed, drained and cubed/crumbled
- 1 finely diced clove of garlic
- 1 finey chopped green onion
- 1 (15 oz) can of drained black beans
- 1 heaping handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 md tomato, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 ripe black plantains
- 4 TBS vegan butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- Saute tofu, garlic, and onions 1 min over medium heat.
- Add in tomato, beans, cumin, turmeric and lime juice. Mix Well.
- Cook for an additional 1minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes so the flavors can marry well.
- At the last 30sec add in the cilantro.
- Set the mixture aside.
- To peel the plantains, cut off ends and discard. With a paring knife, make 3 shallow slits lengthwise along the seams of the skin and peel away. Split the plantains lengthwise.
- In a large skillet heat 4 TBS butter.
- Place over medium/low heat. *Warning* Plantains burn easily if the heat is too high.
- Fry the plantains until golden on the bottom.
- Flip and add cinnamon, vanilla, & sugar.
- Allow to cook a few more seconds, letting the sugar just start to caramelize.
- To assemble the burrito:
- Warm tortillas in a large pan.
- Spoon half of the tofu scramble,then add the cooked sliced plantains and avocado. Roll into a burrito and dip it in salsa.
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out “The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen” for more delicious plant-based recipes from around the world.
This recipe and photo reposted with full permission from the author. Award winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, cookbook author, media spokesperson, holistic nutritionist, vegan chef and television personality, Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is a respected figure in the world of healthy lifestyle as well as special diet cooking and nutrition. With a highly acclaimed cookbook and travel show to her credit, Carolyn has traveled the world for her show, site and brand as well as to offer her services as a health and nutrition expert, recipe developer, writer, speaker, consultant and media spokesperson. The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!