Did you know that 70% of Americans do not meet the daily allowance for fruits and vegetables? In my effort to instill a healthier lifestyle in my household, I’ve had to result to dirty warfare. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and I’ve found the best way to introduce him to something he doesn’t “like” is to do so sneakily.
A lot of foods get a bad rap, but I feel like they’re just being presented the wrong way. I mean, who *really* likes steamed carrots? Boring. But puree them with salt and pepper and spread them under a beef tenderloin and they’re suddenly interesting. I think Cranberries are one of the easiest foods to develop an aversion too. Which is sad because it has SO many great nutritional benefits.
Benefits of Cranberry Juice:
- 8 oz. (1 cup) of cranberry juice, with a minimum of 27% cranberry juice, provides the same health benefits as 11⁄2 cups of whole berries.
- The rich red color of cranberry juice is derived from anthocyanin’s which are naturally occurring flavonoids – a type of antioxidant with health promotion potential.
- The National Kidney Foundation® suggests drinking a glass of cranberry juice daily may help prevent urinary tract infections.
Personally, I love the tart taste of 100% cranberry juice but there are many ways to make Cranberry Juice sweeter, and my favorite is wine. I just got your attention didn’t I – see what I mean by dirty warfare? Don’t be ashamed. Grab a glass and keep reading for a delish Cranberry Sangria Recipe.
- 750ml (1 Bottle) of Red Wine
- 4 Cups Cranberry Juice
- 1 Cup of Orange Juice
- 1 Thinly Slices Orange
- 11 Cored and Thinly Sliced Apple
- ½ Cup Fresh Cranberries
- Ice for Serving
- Combine all ingredients but ice and chill for 4 hours.
- Serve over ice.
*Tip* There are A LOT of Cranberry Juice options so make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck by getting the most nutritional value from it as well. Choose a brand that offers cranberry as it’s FIRST ingredient or even better choose a brand with 100% Juice like 365 Organic 100% Cranberry Juice, Trader Joe’s 100% Cranberry Juice or Wild Harvest Cranberry 100% Juice - you can find more options at Be Berry Aware.