DIY Art For Kids Rooms: Book Covered Letters
Did you know that November 12th was Young Readers Day? One of my favorite books growing up was The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Who could resist the fun way Eric Carle illustrated his story? It’s also one of the first books I purchased for my daughter, along with other favorites like the Little Critters, The Velveteen Rabbit (perfect for the holiday season) and The Giving Tree. Obviously one of the best ways to encourage young readers is by actually reading, but it’s also great when you can bring a book to life through fun artwork.
In honor of Young Reader’s Day, KLS Crafts designed this DIY art for a kids room. It’s based on the The Very Hungry Caterpillar, but it can be done with any book!
TIP: Try reading the book and then watching the movie on Netflix while you create the craft.
DIY Art For A Kids Room: Book Covered Letters
Materials you’ll need:
- Favorite book
- Craft block letters (available at Joann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby)
- Mod Podge
- White craft paint
- Foam brush
- Photocopied pages from your favorite book
- Photocopy images from the pages of your favorite book at an office supply store or with your home printer. (Reduce/enlarge images until they fit the letters.)
- Paint plain craft block letters with 2-3 coats of white paint. Let dry.
- Cut out your images and arrange them on the letters.
TIP: You can use the images to tell the story, apply only the cover art, just the text, or any combination!
- Apply the Mod Podge to the back of each image with a foam brush and apply to the letters.
- Wrap paper ends along the letters and even onto the back so the entire image is flush with the letter.
- After images have been placed apply Mod Podge over the entire top and sides of each letter.
- Allow to dry and hang!
You can check out the Step By Step photos at KLS Crafts.
You can also watch favorite childhood story books come to life with these 13 Great Titles on Netflix.
- Escape to Witch Mountain NEW!
- James and the Giant Peach
- The Baby-Sitters Club
- A Wrinkle in Time