So one night at about 7pm, Ben and I decided that it’d be really nice to have some Hot Buttered Rum. Last year we purchased a jar of “goop” at the grocery store that all you did was add your favorite rum and hot water – which was super convenient.
So off he went to the store with Whistler. About 45 minutes later they come back empty handed with a flustered story of “we went to 3 different places and I couldn’t find it!”. Well, by that time I had 45 minutes of sitting and imagining a nice hot mug of Hot Buttered Rum and that answer just wasn’t going to work out for me.
I decided that he didn’t go the the “right” store and went out myself. After going to 2 grocery stores and forgetting my cell phone at home, I also was unsuccessful in finding the pre-made batter.
I then decided that I was going to make a batch of the batter myself – it would probably taste better anyway.
So after some research, I came up with this recipe. Many of the recipes out there end up being pretty darn bland because they omit the additional spices. The creamy “spice” is my favorite part of this drink so I make sure its there!
I hope you enjoy my Home Made Hot Buttered Rum Recipe and if you guys make this for yourselves – I’d love to hear about it!
- 1½ cups vanilla bean ice cream
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- ½ cup soft brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- hot water
- your favorite spiced rum
- Start by setting out the ice cream to thaw. When it gets to the consistency of whipped cream, it’s ready.
- Mix together the butter (MUST BE VERY SOFT), maple syrup and brown sugar in a large bowl or freezable container with an electric mixer/whisk. (I used a hand mixer) You want it to be mixed well and get nice and “fluffy”.
- Add spices and ice cream and mix about 5 minutes.
- This is your batter and it keeps great in the freezer!
- To make your Hot Buttered Rum, add a scoop of your batter to your mug. Scoop size will depend on taste and size of mug, but I use about 2 tablespoons for a large cappuccino sized mug. Add desired amount of your favorite spiced rum (1-2 ozs) and a dash of salt. Yes, salt. It will bring out the flavor! Fill rest of the way with very hot water (or if you like it creamy, milk!) and stir thoroughly. You want the batter to be completed melted and it should be a hot creamy drink. Enjoy!