Any parent will tell you that stains are something that just comes with the territory, but doesn’t make them any less frustrating to deal with. Clothing, furniture and carpet are just one of the few areas you will be forever combatting stains, but before you light the couch on fire, throw the kids wardrobe in the trash or rip out the carpet, give our methods a try for how to remove common laundry stains.
How To Remove Common Laundry Stains
How To Remove Grass Stains
- Apply stain treatment then rub the fabric together. An old toothbrush can be very helpful to get the treatment into the fibers.
- Use diluted white vinegar or ammonia to remove any remaining color.
- Methylated spirits, also known as denatured alcohol, can be used and is available from hardware stores and supermarkets.
How to Remove Ketchup and Other Tomato-Based Stains
- Rinse under cold water immediately.
- Soak in warm water and dab the laundry stain with a bit of dishwashing soap on a sponge or washcloth.
- Apply a stain treatment and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- If any color persist treat with 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts water before washing.
How to Remove Red Wine Stains
- Gently blot (don’t rub!) to pick up any access liquid.
- Cover the laundry stain with salt (you will see the salt absorb the color!)
- Soak overnight in cold water with enzyme detergent before washing
For an immediate solution (ie at a bar or party), use white wine. Soak a white cloth with some white wine and gently dab at the red wine stain until it transfers to the cloth. Follow up with same technique using club soda to remove any leftover white wine. I’ve had incredible luck with this!
How to Remove Chocolate Stains
- Allow the chocolate to dry and remove any excess liquid from the stain.
- Wash with dishwashing liquid and hot water.
- Combine 1tsp of enzyme laundry detergent and 1 cup water and treat the stain.
- Allow to set for 20 minutes and then wash/clean the garment with a damp cloth.
How to Remove Fruit Juice Stains
- Soak stained clothing in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Treat with 1 part white vinegar with three parts water.
- Apply a stain treatment product and wash in enzyme detergent.
How to Remove Coffee Stains
- Cover the spot with stain remover and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Wash in warm water using an enzyme detergent.
- Use liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water to work on removing the laundry stain.
How to Remove Mud Stains
- Allow the mud to dry and brush off.
- Mix detergent with some water and pour on fabric. Rub the fabric together to create suds.
- Treat with 1 part white vinegar and 1 part water.
- Wash with an enzyme detergent to finish removing the stain.
How to Remove Ink Stains
- Apply rubbing alcohol, or an aerosol hairspray, directly to the stain.
- Blot, don’t rub, the ink away.
- Leave for 10 minutes and blot again.
- Wash immediately to remove the stain.
How to Remove Blood Stains
- Soak garment in cold water for 10 minutes and rub the fabric together gently.
- Rinse with warm water and blot then soak in cold water with 2 tablespoons salt for every quart of water.
- Apply stain remover and allow the treatment to sit before washing.
- Hydrogen peroxide can be used on white or light-colored fabrics to help remove the laundry stain.
As with all stains, it’s crucial to get it treated and washed as soon as humanly possible. Washers like the new LG Front Load Washer and Sidekick are absolutely perfect for this job, allowing you to wash two loads of laundry at once. Yes, you read that right – TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE LOADS AT ONCE. So even if the washer is already running something else or you just need to wash your one item alone without being wasteful, you can! It has 6 wash cycles and 2 temperature settings for the most efficient washing. Plus, both washing areas are gentle on clothes, energy efficient and feature an increased spin speed to help clothes dry faster. This is definitely today’s washer of the future.
Right now when you purchase an LG Front Load Washer and SideKick and save an additional $150 at Best Buy.
The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.