Stuffed Avocado Pesto Vegan Quesadilla (Gluten Free Recipe)
On a recent press trip to Bermuda, I had the pleasure of meeting and befriending an amazing woman – Carolyn Scott-Hamilton. A talented chef, nutritionist and travel blogger, Carolyn showed me that being healthy and eating vegan while traveling wasn’t what she refers to as “social suicide”. She was easily one of the nicest, most fun and non-judgmental people I have ever met. While I am and always will be a meat-lover, Carolyn’s outlook and lifestyle definitely intrigued me. I was able to take a look at her cookbook and found myself wanting to try many of the recipes I saw inside. Although being a 100% Vegan is probably not something I would choose for myself, I can definitely see the value in swapping out some of my family’s meals for ones in her cookbook. As a matter of fact, I’ll bet Ben would never even know otherwise. As such, I’m happy to say that I’ve partnered with Carolyn to feature one tasty Vegan recipe for you each week, here on Surf and Sunshine. Enjoy!
Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese month? Check Carolyn’s delicious take on the original blah grilled cheese sandwich. Made with Avocado, Pesto, and Mozzarella it’s lives up to it’s drool worthy ingredients. Plus, it packs great nutritional value. Best of all this is a Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe!
- Avocado Pesto
- 1 Avocado, pitted/scooped
- 1c fresh basil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1TBS olive oil
- 1 Tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2-3 TBS water
- 4 Brown Rice/Flour Tortillas
- Avocado Pesto
- 1c Vegan Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2c Tomatoes, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2c Cooked, Thinly Sliced Vegan Chicken or Marinated Baked Tofu (optional)
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Mix all of the ingredients into a blender or food process – except the water. Puree these until smooth. If the mixture needs thinned out add a small amount of the water at a time.
- Heat a lg pan or griddle. Use Vegan Butter if necessary.
- Spread avocado pesto on 1 side of each of the tortillas. Place 2 tortillas, pesto side up, onto pan/griddle.
- Use 1/4 cup of the cheese. Spread one layer over the pesto.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the tomatoes and vegan chicken over the cheese.
- Then cover with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top, pesto side down.
- Press to flatten.
- Cook for 2-3 min and then flip, cook for another 2-3 min.
- Cut into triangles and serve with extra pesto or sour cream.
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out “The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen” for more delicious plant-based recipes from around the world.
This recipe and photo reposted with full permission from the author. Award winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, cookbook author, media spokesperson, holistic nutritionist, vegan chef and television personality, Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is a respected figure in the world of healthy lifestyle as well as special diet cooking and nutrition. With a highly acclaimed cookbook and travel show to her credit, Carolyn has traveled the world for her show, site and brand as well as to offer her services as a health and nutrition expert, recipe developer, writer, speaker, consultant and media spokesperson. The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!