ChristmasHolidaysRecipesThanksgiving

No Ordinary Bird: 9 Unusual Turkey Recipes for the Holidays

Roasted turkey is a traditional and delicious holiday meal. Why not try one of these 9 unusual turkey recipes (that are also crazy awesome!) to shake up the menu?

Gobble, gobble, gobble! Roasted turkey is probably the most popular holiday meal for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you’re tired of the same old, same old – why not surprise your family and guests with a unique twist on your turkey dinner this year? Roasted turkey is traditional and delicious, but there are so many unique and unusual holiday turkey recipes to shake up the menu. You never know, after taking a look at these 9 recipes, you just might find a new family favorite!

unusual turkey recipes

Pin this for later!

Just looking at this ancho scallion basted turkey, makes my mouth start watering.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Ancho Turkey Food and Wine

This turkey takes it home with sweet and savory.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Apple and Sage Turkey Food Network

You can find the recipe for this Adobo turkey and red chile gravy at Gourmet.com.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Adobo Turkey (Credit La Kocinera)

Calling all bacon lovers, check out this Maple-Roasted Turkey with Sage, Smoked Bacon, and Cornbread Stuffing from Tyler Florence.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Maple Roasted Turkey Food Network

For another southwestern spin on your Thanksgiving turkey, try this Mole roasted turkey with masa stuffing and chile gravy.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Recipes

Mole Roasted Turkey Epicurious

Impress your guests with this gourmet, Black Pepper-Pomegranate Molasses Glazed Turkey from Bobby Flay!

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Black Pepper and Pomegranate Turkey Food Network

If you’re a fruit lover, you’ll love this turkey with fruit and nut stuffing that includes prunes, apricots, raisins, currants, apples, cranberries, walnuts, macadamia nuts, and cashews.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Fruits and Nuts Martha Stewart

You’ve heard or beer can chicken, why not beer can turkey?

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Beer Can Turkey Serious Eats

This butterflied turkey with apple cranberry glaze on the Food network, gets rave reviews for its flavor.

No Ordinary Bird: Unusual Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes

Apple Cranberry Glaze Turkey Food Network

Now it’s your turn to share – What is the best holiday turkey you’ve ever cooked or eaten?

Roasted turkey is a traditional and delicious holiday meal. Why not try one of these unusual turkey recipes (that are also crazy awesome!) to shake up the menu? via @jeanabeena

Jeana Shandraw

Jeana Shandraw

Rarely caught without a camera, Jeana is an adventurous traveler with a passion for people, cultures and food that has led her to 38 countries in 5 years. When she's not using her powers for social good, she enjoys photography, cooking and building LEGOs with her son. On occasion, you may also find her crocheting cute things to hide in her husband's underwear drawer.

Three Fast Charging Essentials For Your New Smartphone

12 Really Awesome DIY Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids

1. Kiwi
    November 19, 2017 at 11:33 pm — Reply

Im sorry I am laughing at the beer can turkey! I had Cajun turkey that is just amazing!

2. November 18, 2017 at 8:15 pm — Reply

Sounds like some great ideas for spicing up the turkey dinner

3. Kristin
    November 17, 2017 at 9:25 am — Reply

Great list of turkey recipes, I can’t wait for our thanksgiving dinner.

4. brianne
    November 17, 2017 at 5:04 am — Reply

I love these ideas. I so much rather going outside the box on Thanksgiving!

5. November 16, 2017 at 9:52 pm — Reply

These are really great choices! I am thinking of adding a twist on turkey this year. These are perfect!

6. November 16, 2017 at 8:27 pm — Reply

There’s no doubt that you can do so much with Turkey! I think these recipes are brilliant and a must try.

7. Pam
    November 16, 2017 at 8:22 pm — Reply

We actually usually don’t have turkey at our thanksgiving. We will this year, so I may try one of these recipes.

8. November 16, 2017 at 8:08 pm — Reply

I would love to try all of these! The ancho scallion basted turkey looks the best though.

9. November 16, 2017 at 7:18 pm — Reply

I’m really curious about the turkey -bacon combination. Not sure that I’ll try it on Thanksgiving (why mess with a good thing) but now is a great time to buy an extra turkey for a special meal and try it down the road. Thanks for the creative ideas!

10. November 16, 2017 at 7:07 pm — Reply

We don’t have to stick to the traditional turkey recipe this Thanksgiving! Love these recipes that you shared here. I found something that the kids might like.

11. November 16, 2017 at 6:34 pm — Reply

All the recipes look fantastic! Trying the maple turkey is at the top of my list.

12. Kristi
    November 16, 2017 at 6:25 pm — Reply

I thought we were doing good when we decided to brine our turkey, looks like we need to step up the plate. So many other great options, now to decide which to try first.

13. November 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm — Reply

I had no idea there were so many turkey recipes to choose from. What a cool list for us to pick something different to try this year. Thank you for compiling this list of unusual turkey recipes for the holidays!

14. November 16, 2017 at 5:37 pm — Reply

Wow, so many amazing turkey recipes to choose from! I would love to try the Maple-Roasted Turkey recipe from Tyler Florence.

15. November 16, 2017 at 5:26 pm — Reply

There are a few varieties I’d love to try! The Maple-Roasted Turkey with Sage, Smoked Bacon, and Cornbread Stuffing really caught my eye!

16. November 16, 2017 at 5:11 pm — Reply

How are people so creative with their turkey recipes? These are so fun and they all sound amazing.

17. November 16, 2017 at 4:13 pm — Reply

I can’t believe how amazing this recipes look. I think I might try one of these for the holidays. Thanks!

18. November 16, 2017 at 4:07 pm — Reply

These are great recipes! I want to try the one with bacon. All you have to do is add bacon to make anything better.