Spring and cleaning go hand in hand, like New Years and resolutions. With two small kids constantly making messes, sharing everything (even with our dogs, YUCK!), then touching everything, followed by putting it in their mouths, cleaning is the ultimate challenge. Sometimes I think it might be easier to herd cats or wash my car in a thunderstorm, than maintain a healthy environment 24/7.
Most of the time I found myself focusing less on the clutter, and more on cleaning and disinfecting. LYSOL knows that while cleaning is important, there’s more involved when it comes to keeping our family healthy. So they’ve introduced the concept of “Healthing“, an idea focused on keeping families as healthy as possible, with a holistic approach to maintaining a healthy home. Working to get the word out, LYSOL has partnered with television personality Giuliana Rancic to visit YMCAs in select markets across the country.
On the tour, Giuliana and LYSOL will demonstrate Healthing in action, with hands-on education about the products, and suggest steps to improve hygiene habits in your own home. Through demos and activities, they’ll make learning about hygiene and disinfecting fun for the kids. LYSOL will also donate a one-year YMCA membership to a deserving family.
My Mom was almost an expert at “healthing”. She was always wiping down doorknobs and our cordless phones with LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes. Her proactive approach to disinfecting our common areas, kept us from missing school because we were sick. After becoming a parent, I was shocked to learn how some viruses, like hand, foot and mouth can live on surfaces for days! Want to guess how long it took me to wipe down every toy in the house?
My experience with two kids being sick and learning from my Mom, has increased my vigilance in cleaning AND disinfecting. With time I think I’ve honed my skills, because so far, we’ve managed to elude the flu. Staying well hasn’t been easy with this season being one of the worst cold and flu seasons in the last decade. (Hoping I didn’t just jinx us)
Here are a few tips from LYSOL to help with your healthing:
- Don’t let spring cleaning overwhelm you – start with one room/task at a time and have a well stocked supply of LYSOL® products, paper towels, sponges, and trash bags on hand.
- Know the difference between cleaning and disinfecting! Cleaning may mean doing laundry, picking up toys, organizing your kitchen or bedroom, but disinfecting is equally important to killing germs and reducing the spread of viruses between family members.
- Start with the basics – Wipe down easy to reach surfaces like kitchen counters, chairs, etc. and then progress to smaller spaces and hard t reach areas
- Remember to dust around wall art, photographs, and woodwork. (including the baseboards)
- Use a disinfectant product, like LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes, to kill germs as you clean, even the forgotten surfaces, like light switches, door knobs, cabinet handles, sink drains, and television remotes.
- Get everyone involved and assign tasks to specific age groups. Let the younger children perform one-step tasks like dusting or picking toys up off the floor, and the older kids can help with vacuuming, scrubbing, and disinfecting.
- Always clean your hands well, especially after cleaning, either with soap and water for 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), hand washing is the single most important thing you can do to prevent illness.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for LYSOL®. I received a promotional item to thank me for participating.