What happens when dinner and dessert get together to have a baby? You get this Meatloaf Cake with Sweet Potato Icing Recipe!
- 5–6 lbs ground meat (a mix of pork, beef, bison, veal, turkey… whatever fits your preference, we tend to use beef, bison and pork.)
- 1 cup bbq sauce for the mix (plus a little more for the top of each loaf.)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped, cooked through, lightly browned and then mixed with the bbq sauce.)
- 1–2 cups breadcrumbs (as needed)
- ½ cup tart cherry concentrate (this can be skipped and just ass in more bbq sauce as needed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs (we do flax eggs and it works perfectly. For each egg called for simply combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds and 2.5 tablespoons of warm almond milk or water, mix and then let thicken for a few minutes.)
- 4–6 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- long pieces of carrot that have been steamed and rolled into a spiral
- fresh greens (we used pea shoots)
- food safe disposable gloves
- piping bag or zip close bag
- Wearing the gloves, combine all of the meat, onions, bbq sauce, seasonings and part of the breadcrumbs. Mix with your hands until you have an even consistency that looks to not be too wet or too dry. Add more breadcrumbs or bbq sauce as needed.
- Try to evenly divide the mixture into four parts and then press into your pans, I happened to have 4 that were about the same size, if needed you can definitely just cook multiple batches.
- This step is optional, but we find it adds nice flavor, use a fork or tenderizer to prick holes in the entire surface of each meatloaf, then cover in a little bit more bbq sauce.
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until your meat thermometer hits 165. This time may vary depending on how your oven works and how many pans you put in at one time.
- Allow the meatloafs to cool a bit before removing them from the pans. Try to drain off and remove as much excess fat as possible.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes to a piping bag or as I used, a gallon sized zip bag, squeeze a dash of the mashed sweet potatoes into the center of your serving plate to help things stay in place and set the first layer on top.
- Pipe and spread a bit of sweet potato in-between all of the layers and then around the bottom of the base layer (this will help cover any remaining fat that might be there, I didn’t see any on ours, but could definitely see how it could happen). Pile a bunch of sweet potatoes on top, add the carrots and greens and then enjoyed! We had this right away while the meat layers and potatoes were still warm and it was awesome!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American