Perfect for bento boxes, birthday parties or just any old lunch – this how to make onigiri tutorial is much easier than you think with the right tools!
- 3 cups white rice (short grain, cooked)
- crabcakes, cooked (OR chunk crab + mayonnaise)
- Onigiri seaweed paper
- Furikake (optional)
- sesame seed oil (optional)
- sriracha (optional)
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Bake your favorite crab cakes according to package directions (or you could just mix chunk crab with a little bit of mayo). At same time cook some short/medium grain white rice in your rice cooker, Instant Pot, or simply on the stove.
- When crab cakes are finished baking, mash up the crab cakes as-is, or if you want to add a bit more asian flavor mix in about 1/2 tsp sesame seed oil per crab cake. (add sriracha too, if you like spicy!)
- Fill the triangle form about 1/3 full with rice. *you can also mix in roasted sesame seeds or your favorite Furikake to the rice
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon crab cake mixture into center.
- Fill with more rice and then press with form top.
- And tada! You have a snack, lunch or dinner that is as delicious as it is cute :)
- Category: Lunch, Snack
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: kawaii, japanese, onigiri, sushi, cute, rice balls