This is an amazing traditional pork roast recipe from Puerto Rico that you’ll want to make again and again. Pernil Adobo is usually served at Christmas.
- 7 lb. Pork shoulder with fat cap left on
- 1/2 – 1 cup Adobo Rub (See below)
Adobo Rub (makes about 5 cups)
- Mix all ingredients for Adobo Rub and keep in a cool dry place. This makes quite a bit so you will have lots left over to use for other things like chicken or steak!
- Rub adobo all over the pork; cover with plastic and refrigerate for 12 hours (max. 24 hrs.)
- Take pork out of the fridge one hour before roasting. Remove excess salt and let it rest at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven 400°F.
- Put pork in a roasting pan with fat cap face up and cook for 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 250°F and cook for 90 to 120 minutes or until the pork reaches 145°F degrees in the center.
- Carve and pull apart pieces – serve while hot!
- Prep Time: 13 hours
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican