EntertainmentFamily

A Guide To Monitoring Childrens Televison Programming

Doozers 1Like it or not, television is inescapable. The key is learning how to use it wisely especially when it comes to our impressionable young children. Television is best used when it’s a learning tool. Talk about the message the show is trying to send – what are they learning? Letters? Counting? Problem Solving? Make sure it offers value. In addition to monitoring what they watch we have a helpful Guide to Monitoring Children’s Television Programming.

PreNegotiate TV Viewing Lengths

It’s much easier to say you’re 30 minutes starts now or your viewing time is up at 8 – versus negotiating midway through viewing. AAP guidelines recommend that children only watch one to two hours of TV per day. Another alternative is to limit TV to 1 hour on school nights and 2-3hrs a day on weekends.

Set Hard Limits on When it is NOT Okay to Watch TV

Some good examples of when it’s not okay:

• During Meals
  • Homework
  • When Parents Aren’t Around
  • When Grades are Poor

Use an Instant Streaming Service

Growing up (before instant streaming) the house rule was to have all our homework done before we could watch TV. My parents made that rule with the best of intentions – that we would get our homework done before becoming distracted by TV. But the motivation worked a little too well – we ended up rushing through our homework in order to watch our shows. By choosing TV shows that can be instantly streamed by services like Hulu, you’re mitigating the amount of influence TV has on your kids schedule.

Keep A Short List of Acceptable Shows

In addition to pre-negotiating your TV viewing lengths, times and limits  you should also have a list of acceptable shows. We just added a new show to our list: DOOZERS. The animated preschool series focuses on four Doozers kids. They’re a team of best friends dubbed “the Pod Squad,” Spike, Molly Bolt, Flex, and Daisy Wheel. The Pod Squad loves to “DESIGN, CREATE, and INNOVATE.”

Doozers

These Doozers are DOERS – they put their ideas into action! Our preschoolers follow along to help the team as they take on challenges like designing their very own Doozer Derby racing car, fly in a jetpack, or build a giant life-sized gingerbread house?!

The Show is the first Hulu Original for kids and comes from The Jim Henson Company (Dinosaur Train, Sid the Science Kid) and DHX Media – the creators of another of our favorite shows SuperWHY.

Connect with Doozers Online – #Doozers
Visit the official website
Visit Hulu Kids
Like Hulu on Facebook
Follow Hulu on Twitter, Google+ and Instagram
#Doozers

This post brought to you by our friends at Hulu. All opinions remain my own.

Ashley

Ashley

Ashley spends her days avoiding run-ons as she turns words from yellow to chartreuse and wearing out the M & N keys writing about Travel, DIY, and Tech. She hopes to inspire the masses to travel and LIVE happily one InstaTweetPin at a time.

Adventure Mom Mothers Day Gift Guide

Goodwill Keepers: A Budget Savvy Fashionista's Dream

1. May 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm — Reply

we have parental controls in place on all devices but i still make sure i know what my kids are watching. there’s a lot i don’t want them to see!!

2. May 6, 2014 at 11:02 am — Reply

You gave nice ideas here on how to create good television watching habits with children.

3. May 5, 2014 at 7:35 pm — Reply

Great tips! We as parents really have to take control of what our kids watch

4. May 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm — Reply

I recently read or heard somewhere that the recommend amout of TV time for 2 year okds and under was none. Dont know how realistic that is..

5. Dina
    May 5, 2014 at 11:04 am — Reply

My kids have set limits too. They get one hour of games and one hour of tv. And games includes everything: ipad, ipod, xbox, netflix, whatever.

6. May 5, 2014 at 10:32 am — Reply

It is so important to establish boundaries on screen time! My daughter only watches a little bit, and we stream on the TV while I am sitting nearby working. She loves the Doozers show on Hulu!

7. May 5, 2014 at 9:22 am — Reply

Thanks for the tips, I try to stay on top of things even when they’re visiting others. Its good to keep track of things like this.

8. May 5, 2014 at 7:22 am — Reply

I have started limiting the time my kids are on electronics period – their attitudes are wayy better when they haven’t been vegging in front of the T.V. or engrossed in their Kindles for hours!

9. May 5, 2014 at 6:05 am — Reply

You have to limit the tech time, from tv to computers to games. It’s important to the health of your kids.

10. May 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm — Reply

We have the Pbs Kids app and my son loves it! There are so many great shows to choose.

11. May 4, 2014 at 8:50 am — Reply

I love the picture above! So cute. I totally agree with this: “Set Hard Limits on When it is NOT Okay to Watch TV” – Yup!

12. May 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm — Reply

I was surprised by how many shows I thought were ok for my son to watch…and actually weren’t! So much violence and the use of words like “stupid” and “idiot” that I don’t think are appropriate for my 3-year-old.

13. May 3, 2014 at 6:40 pm — Reply

My daughter probably watches too much TV but then we all probably watch too much TV. It just seems to always be on in the background at our house whether we are watching it or not. We have stopped letting her watch some of the bigger kid shows though because at 6 she was picking up some sayings/habits that we didn’t like.

14. May 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm — Reply

Absolutely no tv on here in the mornings unless my kids have already eaten breakfast, are dressed, have their backpacks packed, teethbrushed… whatever they need to have done to be totally ready to walk out the door for school. Then, if they have time, they can watch an approved show. Otherwise, they get distracted and we are late for school!

15. May 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm — Reply

Great list. I agree that it is important to set expectations ahead of t ime.

16. May 3, 2014 at 11:12 am — Reply

My son loves his tv-shows. I usually have no problem with what he watches at home. The problem is when he’s with his dad and he lets him watch horror movies.

17. May 3, 2014 at 10:16 am — Reply

They’re sure cute. I bet we’d like this… Super Why is def. a fave, and the Jim Henson Co. is always great without fail.

18. May 3, 2014 at 10:10 am — Reply

We are definitely setting more limits now that my kid is 5. He picks up so much from his shows

19. May 3, 2014 at 8:42 am — Reply

Very nice tips on setting up TV viewing limits. Doozers sounds like a show my children would have enjoyed when they were preschoolers!

20. May 3, 2014 at 6:09 am — Reply

These are great tips. Knowing what my kids are watching and how much they are watching is so important.

21. May 3, 2014 at 5:50 am — Reply

Great tips! We are loving the Doozers!

22. May 3, 2014 at 5:36 am — Reply

I loved this list- it is so easy to just plop them in front of the TV these days, but there are so many things they don’t need to watch!

23. May 2, 2014 at 8:28 pm — Reply

Those are great tips! My daughter is older now, but I can see where many would find these helpful for younger age children.

24. May 2, 2014 at 8:27 pm — Reply

Love the colorful chunky figures! I’ll have to remember to check this one out

25. May 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm — Reply

Yep- we have shows that are DVRed so we can know exactly what they are watching. Plus, when the show is over- the TV goes off!

26. May 2, 2014 at 6:43 pm — Reply

Excellent points. We have a very short list of what is acceptable as well.

27. May 2, 2014 at 6:07 pm — Reply

We follow all of these guidelines with our young son. I’ve not checked out the Doozers yet. Will have to do that this weekend (we’re faithful Hulu subscribers!)

28. May 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm — Reply

Oh bummer. We don’t have Hulu, but my girls loved watching the video! I bet they’d love this show.

29. May 2, 2014 at 12:07 pm — Reply

Good tips. It is important to be consistent.

30. May 2, 2014 at 11:30 am — Reply

I’ve never heard of Doozers.. I will have to look them up!

31. May 2, 2014 at 11:25 am — Reply

My kids watch a lot of their TV on Netflix because that way I know exactly what they are watching!