Gluten Free Recipe: Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Poppers
Whenever we’re having a party or just grilling with neighbors in the back yard I like have an appetizer or two around. It keeps the kids from the inevitable “Is dinner ready yet?” and gives guest something to talk over. The thing is I don’t want appetizers to be a lot of work, or take too much time. The goal is to make things easier, not harder. This gluten free recipe for Cheesy Cauliflower Poppers are super easy to make, vegan friendly, and won’t kill my Jawbone Up stats.
- 1 md head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 TBS vegan heavy cream (dairy free heavy cream = 1 block of silken tofu (12oz) and 1/2c of plain soy milk. Blend until thick, creamy and lump free)
- 2 TBS vegan butter
- 1/3c shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 4 vegan egg whites (1 egg white = 1 TBS plain agar powder dissolved in 1 TBS water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again.)
- 1 tsp finely minced chives
- salt & pepper to taste
- Frying Oil
- Combine florets, heavy cream and butter in a medium saucepan. Heat on medium until the butter is melted, the cream is warm and the florets are soft.
- Combine mixture with cheese and blend in a food processor until it’s a chunky cooked oatmeal consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill at least 30min.
- Fold 1/3 of the “eggs” into the cauliflower mixture to lighten.
- Now fold that mixture into the remaining “eggs.”
- Gently mix until combined.
- Chill for another 30min or they won’t hold their shape.
- Get a pastry bag with round or star tube and 3/4in opening.
- Spray the inside of the bag with nonstick spray.
- Squeeze out 1 inch sections onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Cutting with a butter knife as you go.
- Bake at 375 degrees for (10-12 minutes if you plan on frying) or (15-17min) if you plan on serving immediately.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- OR Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a saute pan.
- When it’s nice and hot add the poppers.
- Fry 1min each side.
- Serve immediately.
Check out “The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen” for more delicious plant-based recipes from around the world.
This recipe and photo reposted with full permission from the author. Award winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, cookbook author, media spokesperson, holistic nutritionist, vegan chef and television personality, Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is a respected figure in the world of healthy lifestyle as well as special diet cooking and nutrition. With a highly acclaimed cookbook and travel show to her credit, Carolyn has traveled the world for her show, site and brand as well as to offer her services as a health and nutrition expert, recipe developer, writer, speaker, consultant and media spokesperson. The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!