iPhone 5 Pros and Cons: To Buy or Not to Buy?
Apple fans everywhere are beside themselves as they anxiously await the latest and greatest from Apple, the iPhone 5. People lined up at Apple stores around the world today, hoping to leave with their very own iPhone 5.The highly anticipated new iPhone is the thinnest and lightest iPhone EVER. The questions is, should you buy the iPhone 5 or not?
CNet says its the “iPhone we’ve always wanted. The iPhone 5 easily secures its place in the top tier of the smartphone universe.” Of course, the smartphone universe has grown leaps and bounds since the introduction of the original iPhone.
Is the new faster sleeker design really all that and a bag of chips? Well if we answered the question solely based on demand, that would seem to be the case. Apple recorded more than 2 million pre-order sales in the first 24 hours, that’s twice what they sold last year with the record-setting iPhone 4S release.
But not all of us are buying the hype! Yes its an improvement from the iPhone 4S but is the most amazing smartphone available? While we haven’t been able to test out one of these babies ourselves (yet), our friend Christen over at GadgetReview.com has a great iPhone 5 Hands On and First Impressions article that addresses some great points.
Reboot or re-make? It seems its a little of both. It’s been re-designed and comes with 4G LTE, larger screen, and a faster A6 processor, all in a thinner and lighter package. According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the A6 processor is twice as fast and 22% smaller.
To buy or not to buy, well you should make your own decision about the purchase, we just want to give you some things to consider when shopping for your next phone.
- It’s new and for some of us gadget geeks that’s all that matters!
- 4G LTE So who cares? Well if you’re streaming video or using your phone for a Wi-fi hotspot, you do! Also, 4G LTE speed is faster than many home broadband connections.
- Larger, 4 inch high resolution screen makes it easier to watch movies, play games and use apps. New display has full sRGB coverage, meaning it can accurately represent every color provided by that spectrum.
- The Camera can take pictures faster,has improved low lighting mode, and a new sapphire crystal lens for increased durability. But then everyone knows Apple has the best smartphone camera currently on the market even before these changes.
- The geniuses at Apple made the new guy 20% lighter than its older brother, the iPhone 4S, and a third of an inch taller.
- According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the A6 processor is twice as fast and 22% smaller.
- New iPhone 5 comes with new EarPods design
- Expensive! The new iPhone 5 is pricey, regardless of whether you are entering into a new contract or renewing your current one. Its$199 with a new or renewed two-year contract. Don’t qualify for an upgrade, well then get ready to shell somewhere between $649 -$849 depending on the model.
- You’re unable to use voice and data features simultaneously on the Sprint and Verizon models.
- The new “lightning” connector has replaced the 30-pin dock connector, so your current accessories are no longer compatible. Although, you can purchase an adapter for $30 from the Apple store.
- Apple has ditched Google Maps and there’s concern about their new map app’s accuracy.
- No NFC (Near Field Communications) chip, which allows you to connect your phone with accessories, pair equipment wirelessly, set up file transfers, use coupons, airport check ins and make payments at smart terminals with just a tap. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia and Sony all have NFC in their flagship phones. The use of this technology is expected to grow exponentially in the near future.
- Maybe the most important reason, at least for me, is that there’s nothing radically new about the iPhone 5. Sure it has 4G LTE, but my phone already has that and so do most smartphones that have been on the market.
2 thoughts on “Should You Buy an iPhone 5: List of Pros and Cons”
Great info Jeana. Thanks
This is such a fabulous list! Thank you for reviewing it!