We all know that carbon monoxide (CO) is a odorless, tasteless and colorless gas that can lead to poisoning and, in severe, undetected cases, death. Causing “flu-like” symptoms like headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, over-exposure can often be written off as just a “bug going around”.

The easiest way to prevent having a toxic home due to carbon monoxide is to ensure that there is proper ventilation on all CO-producing products in your home and make sure that everything, particularly furnaces, are cleaned annually.

house 1140x855 - Is Your Home Toxic? These Sources of CO May Surprise You

Things happen, of course, and unlike a fire or other disaster, with carbon monoxide it’s all but impossible to tell when your home has become too toxic and poisonous.

Or, rather, impossible without a carbon monoxide detector.

If you live in California, you already know about these detectors as it’s been state law to have one since July 1, 2011. If you’re anything like me, you bought and installed one and promptly forgot about it, trusting it to be a silent protector on your ceiling.

Your silent protector is about to become not-so-silent, if it hasn’t already.

Like fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms have a lifespan and need to be replaced. For the alarms most of us have in our homes, that lifespan is 7 years. Which is why sometime between now and this fall, you’re most likely going to start hearing some beeping coming from your carbon monoxide alarm (which may even be a already combined into your fire alarm).

Despite the similar sound, this is NOT a “low battery” beep. It’s a “replace me now!” beep. And believe me, until I knew this – we went crazy putting in new battery after new battery, only to hear to dreaded beep again.

Why is replacing your carbon monoxide detector necessary, especially if you regularly change the batteries? Think about all the dust and other airborne contaminants that have been in your home over the past 7 years. Chances are you’ve dusted your home (once or twice, right?) but the insides of your carbon monoxide detector can’t be dusted clean. Instead, these contaminants can find their way into the sensing chamber and effect the sensitivity of the alarm – and therefore, it’s ability to detect high levels of carbon monoxide in your home.

If you hear the beep, don’t ignore it – change it. Just make sure you have a replacement carbon monoxide detector ready to go with new batteries…or even better yet, a plugin variety that allows you to choose from mounting it directly into the wall outlet, mount it onto the wall near an outlet or leave it on a tabletop near an outlet.

kidde plug in co alarm

This plug-in carbon monoxide alarm from Kidde does just that! I love the versatility, the ease of install (just plug it in!) and that it pretty much blends in with my decor. With it’s continuous monitoring of CO levels shown right on it’s digital display, I’ll always know at a glance if the levels in our home are acceptable or not.

So what are some potential sources of CO in your home that could trigger this monitor’s display? Some of these might surprise you!

  • Clothes dryers. Those warm, fluffy fresh-out of the dryer towels can actually be putting carbon monoxide into your home!
  • Furnaces. Luckily something we don’t have to worry about too much here in SoCal but for my friends up north and in other parts of the country, making sure your furnace is properly vented and cleaned is essential!
  • Grills. Who grills inside anyway?! But if you do, make sure there’s proper ventilation.
  • Wood burning stoves & fireplaces. If you want to live out your daydream of curling up by a fire, make sure the chimney has been properly cleaned.
  • Gas ovens. The reason you should have a ventilator reaching outside above your stove!
  • Motor vehicles. Don’t leave your car running in the garage…or try driving it into your house.
  • Tobacco smoke. As if we needed another reason why cigarettes are bad, tobacco smoke does release carbon monoxide. If you’re going to smoke, do it outside!

Basically, anything that gives off heat or smoke most likely releases carbon monoxide. We are constantly breathing in carbon monoxide and you will likely never completely eliminate it from your home, so the important thing is monitoring the amount that is there. The level of carbon monoxide inside your house should be the equivalent of that outside your home.

Even if you don’t live in California, think about the last time you replaced your carbon monoxide detector. If it’s been seven years or more, it’s time to get a new one. And if you don’t have one yet…it’s an easy way to potentially save a life!

Thanks to our partnership with Kidde, you can use promo code BEATTHEBEEPCA to receive 20% off all CO and CO combo products on ShopKidde.com. We’re also giving away one Kidde plug-in Carbon Monoxide Alarm to 3 lucky winners. See below for your chance to win!

How to Enter to Win

Visit our Instagram giveaway below (just click on the picture!) and follow the 3 easy steps to enter :)

Also read:  Before You Call a Plumber, Check These 4 Tips for How to Find the Source of a Leak

View this post on Instagram

#ad #contestalert Like fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms have a lifespan and need to be replaced. For the alarms most of us have in our homes, that lifespan is 7 years. Which is why sometime between now and this fall, you're most likely going to start hearing some beeping coming from your carbon monoxide alarm (which may even be a already combined into your fire alarm).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
DYK that with carbon monoxide, it's all but impossible to tell when your home has become too toxic and poisonous? 😱 Or, rather, impossible…without a carbon monoxide detector. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Don’t have one? Thanks to our partnership with @KiddeFireSafety, you can use promo code BEATTHEBEEPCA to receive 20% off all CO and CO combo products on ShopKidde.com. We're also giving away one Kidde plug-in Carbon Monoxide Alarm to 3 lucky winners. See below for your chance to win! #KiddeFireSafety #BeattheBeep ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ To enter, just follow these quick and easy steps: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1️⃣ Follow @kiddefiresafety and me, @surfandsunshineblog 2️⃣ Like this photo 3️⃣ Tag three friends in separate comments below ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ US residents only. This is not sponsored or endorsed by IG. By entering you are agreeing you are over 18. Contest ends 11:59pm PST Friday, Sept 21, 2018. Winners announced Saturday Sept 22, 2018 via @SurfandSunshineBlog story!

A post shared by Jeana S (@surfandsunshineblog) on

US residents only. This is not sponsored or endorsed by IG. By entering you are agreeing you are over 18. Contest ends 11:59pm PST Friday, Sept 21, 2018. Winners announced Saturday Sept 22, 2018 via @SurfandSunshineBlog story! 

Also read:  5 Tips To Help You Prep for Holiday Meals

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.