Learning How to Surf in Kauai

Kauai Surfing Adventures
Excited to cross off another ‘first’ on my unofficial Kauai Travel Bucket List I arrived at Hawaiian Surfing Adventures for, you guessed it, a surfing lesson. I would be taking my lesson with fellow bloggers and it was a first for all of us, so today was about to get interesting. We met our guide, David, and he instantly had us rolling with laughter. He even surprised us with some smoothies from across the street – totally not part of the package! Despite David’s numerous reassurances, face plants and belly flops were the hot topic of discussion as we made the short trek to the beach. We were all a bit doubtful of our abilities.

Each session at Hawaiian Surfing Adventures is 1.5 hours long and we spent the first half hour talking safety. Before we were allowed in the water, we spent time getting to know our soft top boards, learning how to keep our balance and the proper technique for riding the waves. Unlike the typical dry, boring safety course experience, David was energetic, easy going and hilarious. (Seriously, request him for your lessons!) I think that is why we found ourselves so successful in the water.

Before long we were paddling out into the ocean to catch us as many waves as possible. Unfortunately the ocean was pretty calm that day and some better surfers were stealing the waves but David worked hard to get us up as much as possible. To all of our surprise we stuck most of our rides. In between, David spent time talking with us about surfing, techniques and island life.

Also read:  The Best Michigan Fall Color Tour Road Trips

learning how to surf in KauaiAll too soon our time was up and we made our way back to shore. Our time was coming to a close but we had to get in one last picture and of course, throw up a shaka!

Thank you to the Kauai Visitors Bureau and Hawaiian Surfing Adventures for hosting my experience.

127 thoughts on “Learning How to Surf in Kauai”

1. Wow! Those pictures are beautiful. Now I am ready to go sit on a warm beach some where. I will pass on the surfing lesson. I’m not brave enough. Good for you for doing it.

2. Wow how cool is that? If I went to Kauai I would totally want to learn to surf! When on vacation it’s fun to try things you wouldn’t normally try. Those memories are great to have, plus you might finding you really enjoy doing too!

3. I always wanted to learn to surf, but not sure I’m brave enough to try it. We watched it though for hours when we were on our honeymoon on Maui…..it was amazing to see.

4. We did this in Hawaii and it was the best ever!!! After a little while though I was exhausted, it’s such a work out paddling out!

5. I have always thought that learning how to surf would be fun since watching Point Break. Yes, I know it doesn’t end well, but still… :)

6. I’ve tried surfing twice and I absolutely loved the waves! But I guess the waves didn’t. Lol, but seriously wanna try surfing again!

7. I’ve never surfed before and since I can’t swim and at my age it probably won’t ever happen… I really would love for my son to learn, though. Love your pics, they’re beautiful!

8. Soooo jealous. I love Hawaii – your photos look incredible. Next time we go I want to take a surfing lesson – it’s the thing to do!

9. I would love to take surfing lessons there, so beautiful. I miss the smells there. I don’t know if I’d be able to concentrate though, so much beautiful scenery.

10. My sons would love to go surfing, for sure! We read books with adventures in surfing, real life stories, all of the time. I know my youngest wants to see a real shark, but pretty sure he doesn’t mean out on a surfboard ;) Thanks for sharing this beautiful experience!

11. I would love to learn how to surf. But living in Illinois surrounded by cornfields I am somewhat limited. LOL. This looks amazing and really fun!

12. Haven’t visited Hawaii yet but it’s definitely on my list and I will definitely try out surfing when I get there! :-)

13. Very cool. I could see getting into this once I learn how to swim. I’m kinda fearless in the water for a non-swimmer. No worries, swim lessons are definitely in the plans.

14. Your pictures are beautiful. I’ve always wanted to try surfing, but I think I’m too chicken (and uncoordinated) to actually do it.

15. I have always wanted to learn how to surf but we don’t have surfing here in Miami. One of these days, I am going to go somewhere that offers it and actually make time to take a lesson! It sounds like so much fun!

16. I so want to go to Hawaii some day! I love the idea of surfing, but since I can’t even swim, they’ll be no surfing for me. I’d love to watch some professional surfers, though!

17. Surfing is one of those awesome sports that I always have admired. I know it is not for me, but props to you for riding the waves.

18. My son lived in Hawaii for a few years. He loved learning to surf. He’s in MD now, where it’s freezing. He absolutely misses it! ;)

19. I love that they took so much time out to talk safety ahead of time. You might not think it’s necessary when you want to hurry up and get out there, but if you’re in a situation, THEN you’ll for sure be glad for the instruction.