While the rest of the nation freezes, we are enjoying beautiful 75 degree weather here in Southern California. I’ve already done my “spring” planting and looking out the door and seeing the sun shine on the flowers and herbs makes me smile. I see my jalapeño pepper plants next to the cilantro and all of a sudden I’m parched. Parched for a delicious spicy margarita, of course.
And then I’m reminded of this week’s recipe from our friends over at PURA VIDA, the Tres Hombres (Spanish for “three men”). There is a story that says this originated from a mixup at a restaurant with ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons, but it’s basically a classic recipe for a fresh made Cadillac Margarita using all 3 grades of Tequila – silver, reposado and anejo (gold).
While I usually prefer my margaritas on the rocks, with salt, today I thought of the weather on the east coast and decided to go with the frozen version. I’m a big fan of spicy cocktails so I added a couple slices of jalapeños and if I had some fresh watermelon or strawberries in the house, they would have gone right into the blender too!
- 1/2 oz Pura Vida Silver Tequila
- 1/2 oz Pura Vida Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 oz Pura Vida Añejo Tequila
- 1/2 oz Pura Vida Naranja Orange Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- Pura Vida Organic Agave Nectar
- Shake ingredients with ice
- Strain into an ice-filled margarita glass with a salted rim (optional)
- Garnish with a lime
- Spice Lovers: Muddle some fresh jalapeño with the Agave Nectar before adding on the rocks. Or if you like yours frozen like I do, throw a slice or two in for a spicy blend!
- PURA VIDA is Triple Distilled to achieve the purest and highest quality available (twice in traditional small batch custom designed, hand crafted copper stills and once using a custom designed stainless steel purification process)
- With no additives, PURA VIDA Tequila is just 57 calories per one ounce shot
- Made from 100% Blue Weber Agave harvested exclusively from the Vivanco Estate in the Highlands of Jalisco, Mexico
The Beverage Industry News (BIN) has chosen to honor the brand by selecting Pura Vida Tequila Reposado as the Editor’s Top Pick for 2013. For those of you that were unaware, the Beverage Industry News has served the U.S. Beverage Industry for eighty plus years and is one of the most widely read and respected beverage trade publications in the country. So yeah, this award is kinda a big deal.
Drink responsibly folks! Don’t drink and drive and don’t let your friends drink and drive.