Verizon Voice Over LTE Coming Soon: What Does That Mean For You?

Wow! Verizon set to launch Voice-Over-LTE (also known as VoLTE) service nationwide. This is something all of the major carriers have been working toward but the fact that it’s coming to the nations largest 4G LTE network is cause for celebration.

Photo Credit: Verizon Wireless
Photo Credit: Verizon Wireless

What It Will Bring

Verizon customers will enjoy some pretty cool features with the upcoming release of Advanced Calling 1.0, like natural sounding HD voice and video. This will greatly improve the sound quality of a phone conversation, which means you’ll be asking “Can you repeat that?” less often. It also means superior noise canceling technology. According to Roger Entner, “You no longer hear the cars racing by when you’re talking on a busy street.” And for those that are camera shy (like me), the One-Way Video calling feature will be your best friend.

But the most exciting feature? Verizon customers will be able to make and accept video phone calls without needing an app (think FaceTime or Skype). Everything is already included on your compatible phone. Greg Dial, executive director of mobile services for Verizon explains, “The tight integration of the video calling feature is also significant. You can launch it right from the dialer. There’s no opening a separate app.”

Also read:  6 Films That Need To Be Watched on the Big Screen

Like other video phone call services, the calls will count towards your monthly data package – so make sure that you’re connected to your home wi-fi if you have it.

What You Need To Know

As this new service rolls out there are few a things you should know. The video chat feature and the HD voice only work for calls that take place between Verizon Customers, on VoLTE Compatible phones within the 4G LTE Network. For instance, the feature will not work for Verizon customers that try to call an AT&T customer.

If you’re ready to embrace the change, and have a compatible phone, Verizon will be offering you the chance to take it! If you prefer to play it safe and wait for any potential glitches to be sorted out, Verizon allows the service to be switched on and off in the device settings.

It’s also important to note that it’s not yet known which devices will support this technology at launch so stay tuned! It is rumored that Apple may also be including the feature in the upcoming iOS 8 launch for iPhone 6.

Surf and Sunshine is a member Verizon’s #VZWBuzz Lifestyle Blogger program. All opinions remain our own.

28 thoughts on “Verizon Voice Over LTE Coming Soon: What Does That Mean For You?”

1. I love face to face chatting. I wonder if this will replace the Face-Time technology from Apple. I rarely use mine because my calls get dropped frequently.

2. One way video feature, that’s pretty cool. I heard about these upgrades with Verizon, I’m always one to wait to see if there are any issues first!

3. I like that they’re paying attention to what customers want and finetuning/creating product ideas to meet those needs. nobody likes to ask, ‘Can you repeat that please?’

4. I don’t believe we have verizon in Canada, but this sounds great. I know right now with my service I am so unhappy, I wish I could switch to Verizon I’ve heard great things.

5. We have Verizon, this sounds like a really neat service/feature to have. I am not sure if I will use it as I barely talk to anyone over the phone – usually it’s text or emails. I appreciate you sharing information that I may not have found out until later!

6. Great feature especially while traveling in the car with the windows down on on a busy street. Passing this info to my brother – he is a Verizon customer.

7. Sounds like a really interesting and fun change. I am still kicking myself for leaving Verizon so many years ago when I moved to Louisiana from Virginia.

8. one way video calling? HECK YES! I would not do it otherwise! This sounds amazing and so do all the other fun features!

9. one way video calling? HECK YES! I would not do it otherwise! This sounds amazing and so do all the other fun features!

10. I am on Verizon now, but it’s pre-pay and I noticed they don’t give us all their features so I am wondering if this will also be available to their pre-pay customers. I do have a smartphone but I find pre-pay works better for me than being locked into a contract as I’m always testing new devices and that oftentimes requires me to change networks.

11. This sounds not only interesting but exciting. I can’t wait until all of the services catch up to this and it will work between different phone companies.

12. I originally purchased my Iphone for the video feature because I was working at a traveling job at the time. So I am super excited about this!!

13. We don’t have Verizon in Trinidad, but I am hoping our cellular companies will get on board with that video chat feature. It’s awesome!

14. Many of my friends have Verizon and have been pushing me to make the switch. I really should because they are always innovating! This looks so cool.

15. I love this! My son is 14, so video chatting is definitely on my radar. I can scope out the scenery behind him to make sure everything’s legit! =D

16. How interesting. I have never really had an issue with any phone conversations I have ever had, but now maybe they will be even better.