Over thanksgiving, I made some super cute Turkey Cake Pops and with the leftover chocolate melts – I made some chocolate covered strawberries. They are super quick and easy to make so when I saw these adorable Football Berries from Shari’s Berries – I immediately knew what I wanted to make for Laura’s Superbowl Party this year.
While adorable, I certainly don’t want to spend $35 for 6 hand dipped berries!!!
These require little or no skill to make and here is how to do it:
- 16 ounces milk chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil
- 1 pound fresh strawberries with leaves
- White icing (I recommend using Royal Icing to get cleanest design)
- No 1 piping tip + pastry bag OR a plain old plastic baggie
- Wax Paper
- Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
- I have a Wilton Chocolate Pro Electric Melting Pot that makes melting chocolate and candy for cake pops a breeze. You certainly don’t *NEED* it though – you can use a double boiler or even any plastic bowl + microwave.
- I also prefer to use Chocolate Fondue Melting Wafers, Milk or Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate – but it is kind of pricey. You can also use plain milk chocolate chips! Melt the chocolate + shortening, stirring often until smooth. (I recommend adding vegetable oil or shortening a little at a time, as needed to get the right consistency).
- Once you have the consistency you want, grab the strawberries by the toothpick and dip into the chocolate mixture.
- You can then place them on wax paper to cool or if you don’t want the “puddle” you can turn the strawberries upside down and insert the toothpick into a piece of styrofoam.
- Wait til cool/hardened.
- To decorate, fill pastry bag with white frosting and use #1 tip to draw laces. I highly recommend using ROYAL ICING for this otherwise the laces will drip and sag :( If you don’t have any cake decorating tools, you can simply spoon some frosting into a plain plastic baggie and snip one corner!