For most people, getting a new piece of technology can be both exciting and overwhelming. Especially when you’re investing in your next laptop. There are many brands, operating systems and specifications to choose between. Not to mention the hassle of moving data from one laptop to another. We’re hoping to take some of the anxiety of the experience with these 3 things you should do before getting a new laptop. That way you can enjoy the excitement of your new purchase!
3 Things You Should Do Before Getting a New Laptop
Consider the Operating System
Some people prefer to stick to the familiar but other people see getting a new laptop as an opportunity to try a new operating system.
Utilizing Cloud Services
Utilize a free cloud storage service to back up your photos, documents and music. That way they can be easily downloaded to your new laptop once you get it home.
Get Familiar with Specifications
Processors, Ram, Screen Size, USB, HDMI – looking at computer specifications can be like reading a foreign language if you don’t know what the words mean.
- Processor: In general, the processor determines how fast your system operates. It’s always a good idea to invest in a good processor. A good rule of thumb is, the larger the number of Gigahertz, the faster the processor.
- Ram: Ram also aids in the speed of your computer. Ram acts like temporary storage, allowing your computer to retrieve information faster. The more ram you have, the larger the temporary storage and the faster the recall.
- Screen Size: Screen size plays a large role in how big your laptop is. The most popular screen sizes are 13″, 15.6″, and 18″. If you travel often and are looking for something lightweight you might want a 13in. If you use your laptop for gaming and entertainment you might want the larger 18″ screen – and the 15.6″ offers a happy medium.
- USB and HDMI: Most laptops offer USB and HDMI ports. This allows you to connect flash drives, external cd drives and HDMI cords to your laptop. An SD slot is also often offered and is used for pulling images and date off your SD (camera) card.
- Battery Size: This one is pretty self explanatory. A longer battery life means more time you can spend unplugged.
Walmart is know for having a great selection of Intel laptops to meet almost any users needs. One of their most popular products is Dell Inspiron Black 15.6 Laptop. It boast the “happy medium” 15.6″ screen featuring touchscreen capabilities and an HD resolution. It’s 2 gHz processor and 4 gb of ram is aimed to satisfy the average user and it boast additional features like:
- 720p webcam
- 3 in 1 memory card reader
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 1 x USB 3.0 ports, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x headphone/microphone jack, 1 x RJ45 Ethernet port
- A 4 cell battery offering up to 6 h 33 min of battery life
Entering is as easy as 1,2,3:
- Click on the image above.
- Select the contest tab.
- Then, in 400 character or less, share “How would a Dell Inspiron 15.6” Laptop make your life more amazing?”
One entry per email, per person, complete Terms & Conditions are found on the site.
13 thoughts on “3 Things You Should Do Before Getting a New Laptop”
Excellent nuts and bolts article on buying a new laptop. I have spent last 12 hours surfing the net, in a vain effort to find my dream laptop. I wish I had read this article before I hit the e-commerce stores. I don’t know a thing about laptops or what features to look for and this made it super easy! Good stuff, eager to learn much more about laptops before buying one for myself…
I would like to purchase a very good laptop. My price range is between $1,000 and $1500. Which model would you recommend? It’s would really helpful if I was finding this kind of advice…
Thank you so much for the insights, it’s excellent for a buyer to know what should be done before buying a laptop, was very much useful and informatic one… Thanks a lot…
It is so important to know the specs of the laptop. I always make sure I get enough memory.
Just in time because I am contemplating on getting a new laptop. These tips could really help me decide.