Tips To Make Heading Back To School a Breeze

Preschool

Can you believe it’s almost August? You know what that means – it’s shockingly close to the back-to-school season. I know, it’s sneaking right up on us. While I would love to hold onto the coat tails of summer dragging my feet until the very last day before school, it would be a complete disaster. Instead I’ve done the responsible thing and came up with some back to school tips.

Fun fact: For nearly one third of North Americans, a return to routine is their favorite part of the back-to-school season. Consumers’ second favorite back-to-school activity is shopping (20 percent).

Start Transitioning Early

If you’re kid is anything like mine, our school year bed time went out the window with the end of the school year. Long summer days and lazy afternoon naps have really thrown us out of whack. While she doesn’t actually stay up that much later, it makes a huge difference during the school year. Start scaling back the bed time and implementing the school year routine about a month before school starts but keep it flexible! No need to ruin the summer fun either.

OshKosh Nautical

Back to School Shopping

My daughter and I are unique in that we’re both in school right now. She goes to the local preschool while I attend a state university. So our back to school shopping list is both expansive and expensive. We like to break up the cost by shopping for back to school all summer long. This way we can make purchases while they’re on sale. We also take advantage of special back to school sales. Even still school supplies are not cheap.

Also read:  Parenting: Text Messaging Acronyms and Apps You Should Know

One of the things I’m always concerned about is the risk of theft. Did you know nearly half of North American parents admitted that their child has had an item stolen from them at school, with the most valuable being their cell phone? Which is probably why more than half of North American students don’t use a locker to store their belongings.

Master Lock

Instead of breaking backs, parents can pick up a combination lock like the Master Lock 1500eDBX dialSpeed for under $40, way less than the cost of a new cell phone. These awesome locks have an electronic interface and offer the use of multiple codes. Unlike old school locks they offer a permanent Backup Master Code so kids cant forget their combination ever again. Master Lock offers a wide range of tools for students in any grade including padlocks for school and gym lockers, laptop locks, backpack locks.

Reflect on Last Year

I wasn’t nearly as prepared as I thought last year. There were some flaws in our schedule and routines that I want to fix this year. One of the biggest things for me is staying organized all year long – not just at the beginning. Especially as we will be moving once or twice in the next year.

Now through September 7, students and parents can take part in the “Master Lock Photo Hunt Challenge”  for a chance to win back-to-school security items and create a Master Lock shopping wish list. Players can also create a wish list and email it to mom or dad.

The games are super easy too! One features two similar back-to-school images and asks players to spot the differences before time runs out. Spot all the difference and unlock the next board where you can earn two more sweepstakes entries! Then earn even more entries by sharing the photo hunt challenge on twitter. There are more than 65 chances to win, including daily instant win prizes, weekly prizes and one grand prize: a Samsung Smart Media Center Package that includes a 60” HD 1080p Smart LED HDTV.

You’re invited!  Join the Master Lock Twitter Party on August 5th at 8 PM EST, hosted by @ResourcefulMom.

This post is written on behalf of Master Lock through Global Influence by me. All opinions are 100% mine.

Also read:  Comfortable Loungewear for Busy Moms

47 thoughts on “Tips To Make Heading Back To School a Breeze”

1. I’d like to know where summer went. I feel like we JUST started vacation and nope, time to buy school clothes and supplies and pay fees and get ready to head back. The summer always goes by so quickly.

2. That’s one hi-tech padlock I don’t mind buying for my daughter who’s going to college this Sept. :) I asked her to get a locker so she doesn’t have to carry heavy stuff around esp if she doesn’t have to at all. I can’t wait to find that here in Dubai so I can get one for her.

3. Love your tips! I think they make any parent and child’s life easier! My son is looking forward to his new school! So exciting!

4. I guess I’m glad we stick with the same bedtime even in the summer. That will make back to school so much easier! I should start thinking about BTS but we don’t go back until Sept and it still seems far off. I know it’ll be here before I know it though!

5. Back to school shopping, can be a lot of work and costly depending on how many kids or adults are in need of it in your household.

6. The summer has definitely flown by. I think the kids are ready to see all their friends again and I think I am ready to get back into a regular routine.

7. I love Masterlock and have used them for years! I still have my Masterlock from high school!! :)

8. I love the first day of pre-school sign–so cute these are some great tips in addition to seeing that cutie pie-before we know it school will be back in session! thanks for sharing

9. D: I am not ready to even THINK about back to school. My oldest starts high school, my second starts middle school, on top of that I have a 4th grader, 3rd grader, and the baby turns one in November. *siigh* Back to school sales are looming and I am just.. not prepared.

10. I am so excited to hear that there is such a thing as a backpack lock! My son is starting his first year in Jr High school and he will need this to protect his things. He is also going to need a lock for his school and gym lockers. Heck yes I am going to get him this new and cool technology lock !

11. Great tips! This is my first year in the back to school swing of things. My oldest will be headed off to big kids school!I need all the help I can get.

12. Great tips. You are so right that transitioning is so important. It helps the kids get ready and not be as stressed about going back to school.

13. I can’t believe it’s almost back to school time! Ours go back in sept! But I really am not looking forward to it lol so much stress and shopping! Ah!

14. I think it is so cool that you and your daughter are both going to school! She is absolutely adorable, by the way!

15. My daughter is starting preschool this year and my oldest in 4th grade. Neither will have lockers though.
    That Master Lock is pretty impressive though. I think I need one for my gym locker!

16. Master lock is great! These are awesome tips for back to school. Thanks for sharing…can’t believe another school year is almost here.

17. My son wants a combination lock for his locker and another small one for his backpack . I might have to buy them for him

18. These are some great ideas for getting ready to go back to school! Can’t believe it’s coming up so quickly!

19. Love Masterlock! Thanks for sharing all of those back to school tips, too! Time to get school started! I’ll try and make that twitter party, too!

20. School definitely brings routine back into the kids life. Summer is a any goes – then school – early to bed – meal times – etc.

21. Having to back to school shop for both you and your daughter sounds like a hassle! I like your plan of shopping all summer long. It definitely breaks up the cost- and the stress.

22. We had late bedtimes this summer, too. We’ve been going to bed on time all week to get ready for monday!

23. These are great tips. It can be difficult transitioning back into the school routine. The hardest part of school transitioning for me is getting my 14 year old to go to bed on time.

24. I always used my locker in school. The key to not having things stolen at that time was to not share your locker combination! (Not sure if that’s the case these days. I think only one friend had my combination – mainly because we shared lockers.)

25. We usually do a practice run for a few days before they go back. It helps to start getting them on schedule early.