So we’ve been on a wrap-everything-we-can-in-bacon kick as of late, and one of my most recent creations has become our new favorite – Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Asparagus Rolls. Very quick and easy to make, these make a great appetizer or side to accompany your favorite steak (like we did!).
Before I share my recipe, I’d like to share a couple of my favorite Grilling Smart-Tips that really come in handy with this recipe in particular. I’ve shared plenty of our grilling adventures and recipes with you, but looking back I’m actually a bit embarrassed that I’ve never shared these with you. I guess I just thought it wasn’t a big secret, but turns out – not everyone knows these!
- Use skewers instead of toothpicks whenever possible. Not only will your wraps stay more tightly closed, but they will be easier to rotate/cook and you won’t have to worry about forgetting to remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Invest in some metal skewers. Not only are they more eco-friendly than the wooden ones, but you’ll avoid those pesky wooden splinters and save time by not having to prep/soak them.
- For easy on and off, spray the skewers with non-stick cooking/baking spray before sliding on your ingredients.
- Prevent your steaks and kabobs from sticking to the grill by spraying non-stick cooking/baking spray directly on to your COOL grill. (Don’t do this to a hot/live grill – it’s dangerous!!)
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp & Asparagus Recipe
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small tub, parmesan cheese shavings
- 1 lb uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut in half
- 1 package of bacon, cut in half
- Metal skewers
- Non-stick cooking/baking spray
- Mix sugar, lemon juice, white wine, olive oil and all spices together. Marinade shrimp in this mixture for 15-30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Spray skewers with a non-stick cooking/baking spray and set aside.
- Place small amount of asparagus, one shrimp and a few parmesan slices in one slice of halved bacon and roll tightly. Slide onto skewers immediately to hold shape.
- Spray COLD grill with non-stick cooking/baking spray then light and heat.
- Grill on LOW heat, about 7 minutes each side. Check often and cook until bacon is well done, but without burning.
TIP FROM BEN: “Keep an eye on the skewers. If they catch fire, they’ll burn up like nobody’s business!”
That’s it! Easy peasy! Enjoy – you’ll be addicted to this one like we are.
PS – If you like things spicy like I do, try adding a slice of jalapeño into the wrap. Remember that grilling peppers makes them spicier so make sure to take that into consideration when choosing the size of your slice!
15 thoughts on “Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Asparagus Rolls Recipe”
I precooked the bacon just a little in the microwave but not to much so you can still wrap around the shrimp. This allows the bacon to be crispier after cooking on grill and not over cooking the shrimp or asparagus. Turned out perfect.
We don’t eat Asparagus but this looks like a fun way to enjoy it for those who do!
I really wish I wasn’t the only one in my family that liked shrimp. My husband loves asparagus and bacon, so maybe I can sneak it onto our grill :)
anything bacon is good right ;)
We are gonna love this recipe, thanks for sharing
My husband and mother would devour those within minutes. Interesting suggestion to add jalapeno!