Budget Friendly Cell Phone Service for College Students

This post brought to you by Straight Talk Wireless. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Surf and Sunshine.

Nokia-Lumia-900-4G-Windows-Phone

They say your twenties are made for struggling. I can attest to that. Early adult hood is hard. Suddenly your (mostly) on your own own, budgeting your part time paycheck on a “full time” wish list all the while figuring out a way to pay for books that cost more than your first car each semester. Factor in that people actually expect you to buy your own food (what is this?!) and pay your rent and utilities and suddenly living with mom and dad doesn’t seem so bad anymore. Yet we all continued to forge on – because a night or three without electricity seems better than admitting we were wrong – and a great many lessons are learned along the way.With the meager amount I made at the video store  I quickly learned the importance of budgeting my monthly bills each payday. Unfortunately budgeting didn’t help when I wasn’t prepared for bills that can surprise you – like my first electricity bill each winter, or the time I went WAYYY over on my monthly data. While there isn’t much we can do about the onset of winter there is something those on a budget can do about their cellphone service.

Straight Talk Wireless from Walmart provides college students (anyone, really) service plans that includes 3GB of high-speed data, unlimited talk and unlimited texts for $45 a month.

Do you know what you can do with 3GB of data? That is equal to:

• 105 hours of Pandora
  • 2,460 webpage views
  • 41,900 emails
  • 1,920 Flickr image uploads
  • 153 hours of Facebook browsing
  • 85 hours of Google Maps usage

Straight Talk Wireless offers the same phones and same nationwide coverage on the networks you’re used to for about half the cost. They also boast the most high speed data of any $45 unlimited plan.  Their service allows you to keep your phone, your number and your network with the Straight Talk Bring Your Own Phone program.

A pay-as-you go plan offers the flexibility and convenience a college student requires with a healthy amount of data for the music, Facebook and email habits.

Visit Sponsor's Site

37 thoughts on “Budget Friendly Cell Phone Service for College Students”

1. Well this super awesome! I wish they would have had something like this when I was in college! I love it when college kids can catch a break, since school is so expensive!

2. This sounds like a great plan. I have a lot of family members who are in college. I will have to tell them about this! You need to save as much as possible, especially when in College.

3. What a great thing to offer. My niece is a bit far from college, and I suspect the technologies will change by then, but I’ll keep this in mind.

4. Its so funny how far technology has came even within 10 years! When I was in college we were still watching our minutes and there was no such thing as smartphones…now its a requirement for a phone! What would we do without data and the internet on our phone now??!

5. Those for sharing those numbers! I’ve always wondered how I spend my gigs of data. This is a great service especially for college kids!

6. I appreciate you breaking down the 3G of data too. That doesn’t seem like it’s a very low limit when you put it that way. I would look into the plan for myself even.

7. Hopefully soon my cell phone contract will be over and since I really do not use a phone all that often all I need is a pay as you go one. I will be looking into this one as well as others that Walmart has.

8. When I was in college in my 20s, we had the brick style cell phones. And, not everyone had them. They were expensive, too. If they had these when I was in college then, could have saved me a bundle!

9. I wish this was around when I was in college. I never was able to afford phone service and my parents wouldn’t help me pay for a cell phone. I got really good at letter writing…

10. I think the pay as you go options is wonderful. The college boys in our family have smart phones w/plans, but this would be perfect for hubby and me. :) We only use the phones if we need to, or for an emergency.

11. I think the Straight Talk would be great for my pre-teen. I like the unlimited data price. Drives me nuts how some other pay as you go is still over 50 dollars a month!

12. I have heard great things about Straight Talk. I have used it before and it is a great option. I like that it is one fee for unlimited data.

13. I think this is a great way to introduce college students in paying for their own things without the contract. I wish I had the option back when I was in college, I got roped into two years back then!

14. I’m so thankful that cell phone prices are becoming more reasonable for people who have a smaller budget, like me. It has really helped a lot to never worry about staying connected.

15. We’ll be using something like this very soon. Need to make sure our daughters understand that the more they use it, the more it costs.