I’m a huge fan of the creative geniuses behind the Hello, Cupcake book series and subscribe to their free email newsletter. With Christmas right around the corner, I remembered that they had sent out a tutorial for how to make these really cute Christmas Ornament Cupcakes last year, but for the life of me, I couldn’t find it anywhere when I searched in my email. Even so, I was able to find some pictures and let’s face it – they are pretty self-explanatory, aren’t they?
Pin this for later!
I quickly realized that this was a perfect baking project that I could complete with my 3-year-old toddler. As a matter of fact, it’s so easy that even my husband was able to get in on the action.
All you need are a few colorful sugars (homemade or store bought) for the sparkly coating, colorful taffy for the stripes, M&Ms Minis for the dots, and a spice drop with a little licorice lace loop for the hanger.
Through some trial and error, I have a few tips and tricks to share with you.
- Buying pre-made cupcakes is certainly the easiest and fastest way to go, but I wanted these to have even more “wow” factor so I made vanilla cupcakes from scratch.
- I added an Oreo Cookie to the bottom of each cup before pouring in the batter for a nice “surprise”.
- To help alleviate some of the Holiday-Pig-Out-Guilt-Factor that always seems to set in right around Jan 1, I went ahead and substituted C&H® Light Sugar in the recipe (just use HALF of the amount that is called for) to cut the sugar calories in HALF!
- I only needed 1 can of frosting.
- I cheated and used sour strips instead of trying to roll out taffy. I’m sure fruit roll ups would have worked great too!
Aside from my baking the cupcakes and applying the frosting, Whistler decorated the rest of these cupcakes pretty much all by himself! So yes, if a 3 year old and his dad can make these, you can too :) Good luck and let me know how they turn out!