Earlier this summer I discovered just how convenient it was to see an online health care provider. Whether it’s for treating a case of sinusitis from the comfort of home, getting a prescription refill without a lengthy office visit, or accessing health care while traveling, there are many great reasons to see an online health care provider from Providence St. Joseph Health. And recently they began offering another service made to make life easier for busy people like me. Express Care at Home is a new, convenient service that sends Providence St. Joseph Health & Services providers to your home, office or hotel for a same-day visit. Yes, really! Directly to your door.
9 Times When Express Care at Home is Invaluable
- When the kids are sick at home you can’t imagine dragging them to the doctors office to pick up more germs or spread their illness.
- When you just don’t have the time. According to a Harvard Medical School study, a typical visit to the doctor consumes 121 minutes – 37 minutes in travel, 64 minutes waiting or filling out forms, and only 20 mins face to face with a physician.
- When you’re trying to be superwoman and there aren’t enough hours in the day. As women, workers, moms, and general girl bosses, we are busy. The time saved by having someone come to your house (for no extra cost as most insurance plans cover the visits) is immeasurable!
- When you can’t imagine moving off the couch. Symptoms like body aches, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, joint or back pain can leave you feeling completely immobile and the very. last. thing. you want to do is move.
- When you can’t get a same-day appointment with your primary care physician or find a time that fits within your schedule. Have you ever tried making a same day appointment with your PCP? Most times, I feel like I have better odds of winning the lottery.
- When all others are closed. Express Care at Home service is available 8 am to 8 pm, seven days a week, for patients from 2 to 64 years of age. Traditional doctors offices are generally only open Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm.
- When you’re in Los Angeles traveling for business or vacation and need care for a low-acuity condition.
- When you value personalized service. Unlike a traditional office, you’re able to wait in the comfort of your home. You get the undivided attention of a provider who is spending quality time addressing your health issues and you won’t feel rushed by the other patients waiting after you.
- When you experience any of the other many reasons an Express Care at Home visit is a convenient option:
Avoiding an expensive trip to Urgent Care of the Hospital (where you will likely pay more).
- When you don’t yet have primary care physician but require a visit with a provider.
- When you need a second opinion.
- When you need a simple diagnosis and treatment for a common health concern.
How it Works
Download the Providence Express Care at Home app from the Apple App Store or from Android Google Play. Or request an appointment online or on the phone (844) 414-9000.) Providence St. Joseph Health promises Same-Day service.
The goal is to have the provider to your location within 90 minutes of making the request, traffic permitting. A typical visit takes 30 minutes. Just like a visit to your doctor’s office, providers with Providence St. Joseph Health can offer a diagnosis, treatment, and written prescriptions.
Providers provide general treatments, including: physicals for camp, sports or school; bladder and urinary tract infections; allergies; cold, cough, nasal congestion and flu; diarrhea, nausea and vomiting; headaches; sinus infections; pink eye; burns; minor cuts and wounds; sprains and strains; skin
infections, irritations and rashes; and travel prescriptions.
Most insurance plans are covering the visits, so your cost will be your co-pay just like when you go to a clinic. Self-pay is $199. The price includes a physical exam and diagnosis. Prescriptions and lab tests, if needed, are priced separately. Insurance plans accepted include Anthem Blue Cross, Aetna, Blue Shield, Cigna and United Healthcare.*
When would an Express Care at Home visit be invaluable to you?
Download the app or visit www.athome.providence.org to book a visit or to learn more. Or call (844) 414-9000 to book a visit.
*Due to government regulations, Express Care at Home and Express Care Virtual are not currently available to patients covered under Medicare, Medicaid or Tricare. (Note: Medicare Advantage patients CAN use the service.)
This post is written on behalf of Providence St. Joseph Health by me. All opinions remain my own.