Memorial Day marks the start of summer, BBQs and days at the beach for many families across the US. Hello 80 degree days and backyard barbecues with friends and family. With the Memorial Day fast approaching, we put together a complete BBQ picnic recipe list that will please young, old and those in between!
Let’s start with my dessert inspired by Evite ..because, well, everyone eats dessert first on holidays, right? Although this recipe can barely be called a recipe at all – it’s so stinking easy! – it is sure to be a hit with everyone.
Patriotic Fruit Parfait
- 6 Vanilla Super Snack Pack Pudding cups
- 2 cans of Reddi-Wip Real Cream
- Blend Reddi-Wip with Vanilla pudding in a large bowl (Note: You will use about 3 cups of Reddi-Wip per 1 Snack Pack. Feel free to adjust this mixture to suit your taste)
- Spoon mixture into cups, layering fruit in between.
- Serve immediately or you can pre-make and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tropical Chicken Sticks
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce4
- 3-4 lbs chicken filets
- Mix pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce in small saucepan over med heat. Remove from heat just before it comes to a boil.
- In a medium bowl cover the chick’n with pineapple marinade.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Place the chicken on kabob skewers.
- Oil the grate lightly.
- Grill until cooked through – watch closely.
*TIP* You can make this recipe vegan friendly by using 4 boxes of Gardein Chick’n Filets instead of chicken :)
Drunk BBQ Corn
- 10 ears fresh corn with husks
- 1 quart beer (non-alcoholic or wheat free if desired)
- 1 (7 pound) bag of ice cubes
- Fill an ice check with the corn.
- Pour beer on top.
- Cover corn with ice and top the cooler with a id..
- Allow to marinate 8hrs or overnight.
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees.
- Place corn in the smoker and close the lid.
- Cook for 1 to 2 hours, turning about every 20 minutes.
- Kernels should give easily under pressure when done.
- Peel husk and eat.
NOTE: Drunk BBQ Corn and Tropical Chicken Sticks recipes courtesy of Carolyn Scott-Hamilton, The Healthy Voyager. Check out “The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen” for more delicious plant-based recipes from around the world.