Midwestern Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe

Mid western fried chicken

When you think of Southern soul food, fried chicken often comes to mind. The crisp well-seasoned skin, rendered of excess fat is a hallmark of well made fried chicken that has been a Southern staple since before the American Civil War. Interestingly though, the South isn’t the only place in America that has amazing fried chicken. Midwestern-style fried chicken offers a different joy that allows gravy to be the star of the dish. While both recipes begin the same way of soaking the chicken briefly in buttermilk and frying the bird until crisp, Midwestern-style fried chicken then veers off and bakes the chicken until the meat begins to sag on the bone, allowing for a creamy, rich gravy to be made from the sticky brown pan deposits to be poured over an even more flavorful baked and fried chicken.

If you’re a fan of Southern soul food, having this Midwestern fried chicken with gravy is a must-try. Adapted from “The New Midwestern Table” by Amy Thielen, this recipe makes for a great, perfectly-fried chicken dinner that will leave everyone at the dinner table hoping for seconds!

[yumprint-recipe id=’15’]For more delicious, homemade recipes like this Midwestern Fried Chicken with Gravy meal, tune in to Heartland Table with Amy Thielen on the Food Network. Recipe provided by and used with permission from The Food Network.

34 thoughts on “Midwestern Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe”

1. My sister-in-law makes a dish similar to this and her family loves it. I haven’t had fried chicken in a long, long time!

2. YUM…buttermilk and Ritz crackers…2 ingredients that help make the best fried chicken! Your recipe is mouth-watering! Thanks for sharing!

3. I am a Southern girl who loves fried chicken but do not eat it very often because I’m also a health nut. With that being said, however, I think I may just have to try this recipe. It looks so yummy!

4. This sounds really, really good! I’ve never had gravy on my chicken before, but it’s definitely something I’d love to try!

5. Being a southerner, I love me some fried chicken every now and then. We don’t make it at home much though. May have to make an exception for this recipe!

6. This fried chicken recipe sounds delicious, I’ll definitely try it. I have never had fried chicken with gravy so that will be new for me.

7. Ooh, now that looks like some slammin chicken! I have to say, I’ve never tried making my own fried chicken so thanks for the idea and recipe! My hubs would be impressed!

8. This looks so good! I love fried chicken but I’ve never actually made it myself before. I always think it’s not going to come out as good. Going to try this recipe!

9. Being a tried and true Southerner, I’ll have to take a stab at your chicken and see how it goes. I’ll be sure to make some sweet tea on the side, too ;)

10. MmmMMM. I honestly haven’t ever made my own chicken nuggets before but these would be so great so my daughter and much healthier than store bought!

11. Interesting – I have never had gravy on my fried chicken. I think it’s a southern thing, but I have to say that it sounds delicious!