Looking for ways to save money around the house? Don’t have the money to buy a new low flow flush toilet? Thats ok – Reader Bri emailed me a great suggestion on how you can create the same money saving effect without the added cost!
Reduce Your Daily Water Waste With a Brick or Soda Bottle!
- First, be sure to open the toilet tank lid and make sure there is room to place a brick or soda bottle. You don’t want it to get in the way of the “flapper”.
- Brick or soda bottle? Well, use whichever one you have around the house.
- Most of us have a 2 liter soda bottle. If you do, just fill it with water or sand. After you put it in, make sure it stays in place and doesn’t float around.
- If you’re going to use a brick, be sure to place it in a sealable zip loc bag first! (Squeeze out any excess air before sealing). Why? So that the brick doesn’t fall apart after lots of flushes or to keep from your flapper getting little pieces of sand under it causing endless running of water :)
- That’s it! Why does this work you ask? Well, you’re basically reducing the amount of water you use with each flush by making the size of your tank smaller. What? We changed the size of our tank? I just I just threw in a brick! Well, the amount of water that brick displaces, is how much “smaller” you’ve effectively made your tank! Get it? (Think of putting ice cubes in a full glass of water…it makes it overflow, right?)
Do you have any tips or tricks that you use to save money around the house? Please share!