It’s the beginning of a new school year and a fresh new start. New pencils and paper, friends new and old, and a whole new curriculumn. But back-to-school season is the perfect time for parents to reinforce valuable life lessons at home.
Because in the end, lessons of kindness and gratitude can be just as important as anything they will learn in the classroom.
Kelly at KLS Crafts created this great Kindness Punch Box. I loved the idea but didn’t have any of the required materials on hand so I decided to put my own unique spin on it.
It’s called a RAK (Random Acts of Kindness) Jar. I’m a little obsessed with mason jar crafts, mostly because we have hundreds laying around, and it only took about 5 minutes to put together.
- Create a fun label.
- Spray paint the lid of a mason jar.
- Create Kindness Slips
- Insert Slips, Apply Lid and Label
If you’re looking for awesome acts of kindness Kelly has it covered with a great list.
- Smile at everyone you meet
- Open the door for people you meet
- Give at least 3 compliments today
- Write thank you letter(s)
- Clean out your closets and donate gently-used clothes and toys to a shelter
- Make military packages to send to our troops (Visit www.operationgratitude.com for more details.)
- Make home-made popsicles to give to friends in the neighborhood
- Clean up litter on your street or in your neighborhood
- Place a flower on cars in a parking lot or in your neighborhood
- Play or talk with someone new
- Let someone else go in front of you in line
- Make someone laugh with a silly joke
Movies that promote kindness and acceptance
Get the conversation about kindness started before your project with these 12 Netflix Titles to promote kindness and acceptance.
Movies for big kids
- A Mile in His Shoes
- Good Luck Charlie: Down a Tree
Movies for younger children
- Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Vol. 1 Ep. 6: Friends Help Each Other
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Season 3, Ep. 4: One Bad Apple
- Arthur, Season 15, Ep. 8: Muffy’s Classic Classy Club / Best Enemies
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Super Why, Season 1, Ep. 61: The Ugly Duckling: Becoming a Swan
- The Fox and the Hound