I have a great vocabulary.
I’m horrible at scrabble.
I’m also really bad at Trivial Pursuit, yet somehow my noggin is filled with a ton of useless facts I’ve picked up here and there.
Today I ran into a few more so I thought I’d share. Here goes and how many of these do you know? If you enjoy these, please leave one useless tidbit of knowledge you know that isn’t already listed :)
Did you know…
- Los Angeles’s full name is “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula”.
- A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
- The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “Its A Wonderful Life”
- All of the clocks in the movie Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.
- Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
The distance from your elbow to your wrist is the length of your foot.
- The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
- A “jiffy” is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
- In snow skiing, most men fall on their faces while most women fall on their behinds.
- A snail can sleep for three years.
- Pigs have orgasms that last 30 minutes
There are no words in the English language that rhyme with Orange, Silver, Purple, or Month.
- Babies are born without kneecaps.
- The plural to Moose is Moose
- The Oval Office is only 22 feet long.
- Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar were both epileptic.
- A single pair of Elvis’ underpants has an estimated value of $1,300.
“Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt.”
- Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
- Lions cannot roar until they reach the age of 2.
- On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
- Yes, there is a Ding Dong, US (in Texas)
- Tarantulas can live for up to 30 years.
Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
- The Bible does not say there were three wise men; it only says there were three gifts.
- Rabbits are physically incapable of vomiting.
- No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times. No matter how big.
- “I am.” Is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
- The typewriter was invented before the fountain pen.
The dot above the letter “i” is called a Tittle.
- Louis XIV owned 413 beds.
- There are only four words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
- One in 20 people have an extra rib.
- Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
- The first owner of Marlboro died of lung cancer. (not surprising)
The sentence: “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter of the alphabet.
- The world’s youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China (1910)
- There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: “abstemious” and “facetious.”
- There’s no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
Winston Churchill was born in a ladies’ room during a dance.
The above came from various sources – my memory, the internet and friends (thanks Stephen!)
4 thoughts on “Random Facts & Useless Knowledge”
Actually, “Go.” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
Out of all of that…I want to be a pig LOL
Bert and Ernie were NOT named after the characters in “It’s a Wonderful Life.” That was just a coincidence… And the worlds youngest parents piece might be true, but the worlds youngest mother was only 5. Her parents raised the child as her brother.