stalking browsing a friend’s facebook page, I came across this “story”. Growing up a military brat and my love for Denzel inspired me to look into this amazing story to see if it’s true or not.
Remember this next time you walk up to the ticket window of your local movie theater with $10 in your hand. The Media (Accidentally?) missed this one!!!! Please read this: The troops oversees would like you to send it to everybody you know.
Don’t know whether you heard about this but Denzel Washington and his family visited the troops at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio, Texas, (BAMC) the other day. This is where soldiers who have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the United States , especially burn victims. There are some buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a Hotel where soldiers’ families can stay, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the Hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base, but as you can imagine, they are almost filled most of the time.
While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right there on the spot.
The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it. The question is – why do:
Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Tom Cruise and other Hollywood fluff
make front page news with their ridiculous antics and Denzel Washington’s Patriotism doesn’t even make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper except the Local newspaper in San Antonio .
A true American and friend to all in uniform!
Fisher House is a program that provides special housing at each of the Army’s major medical centers for the families of soldiers who are receiving medical treatment. Family members can stay for no cost or reduced cost to make it feasible for families members to be able to stay close by.
- Denzel Washington did indeed visit the Brooke (not Brooks) Army Medical Center (BAMC) in San Antonio, Texas, in December of 2004.
- He toured the Fisher House facilities, was impressed and expressed a desire to support it.
- He then dramatically pulled out his checkbook on the spot and wrote a check for the cost of building an entire house = NOT TRUE.
- Fisher House says the confusion may have come when an announcement was made later in that a new $1-million facility was going to be built which happened to be at the same time as a mention that Denzel Washington had pledged a donation to Fisher House.
- Four months later, however, he came through “in a big way”, according to the folks at Fisher House. They won’t disclose the amount of his gift, but Fisher House spokesman James Weiskopf says it’s one of the largest in the organization’s history and that Denzel Washington has agreed to serve on the Fisher House board of trustees.
So while the rumor isn’t entirely true, it is nice to know that it isn’t a complete work of fiction. Denzel just gained about 100 hotness points in my book, how about you?
Thanks, Stephen and Truthorfiction.com