For all of the amazing things California has to offer, the perfect glass of Sweet Tea it does not. I’ve tried creating my own at home for years by brewing hot black tea and adding sugar but it always ends up tasting like bitter cold sweetened tea – not Sweet Tea. Not being from the south, I had no idea that creating the perfect glass of sweet tea has a specific recipe and is a process that can not be cheated. There are no “skipping” steps. And for the perfect glass of sweet tea, you need a good ole’ fashion southern Smooth Sweet Tea recipe.
Southern Sweet Tea Recipe
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 tea bags
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 6 cups cool water
- Sprinkle a pinch of baking soda into a 64-ounce, heat-proof, glass pitcher.
- Pour in boiling water, and add tea bags.
- Cover, and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove tea bags, and discard.
- Stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Add cool water to mixture and refrigerate until cold.
Boiling the water and sugar together it allows it to truly combine which gives it the REAL Sweet Tea taste, and not the sweetened tea taste.