Los Angeles is the best place to be if you’re staying in the city for the summer. Not only are you surrounded by all the glories of nature everywhere you look in Southern California, but there are events and entertainment opportunities available day and night. Imagine… if you lived here, you’d be home by now and free to explore them all!
If you’ve been looking for apartments for rent in Southern California, let this be an incentive. These are just a few of the great things going on this summer in LA and nearby areas:
The Hollywood Bowl
In operation since 1922, the Bowl is the largest natural outdoor amphitheater in the United States, and its summer concert series are legendary. Bring a picnic or buy refreshments there to enjoy as you listen to the LA Philharmonic or one of dozens of guest performances under the stars. Here’s a sample:
- July 2-4: July 4th Fireworks Spectacular featuring Chicago
- July 15-16: Diana Ross
- July 29-31: full performance of the musical A Chorus Line
- August 5–6: Tchaikovsky Spectacular with fireworks
- August 12–13: An Olympic Carnival: Sergio Mendez and 50 years of Brasil ‘66
- August 26-27: Culture Club with iconic British singer Boy George
- August 28: Smooth Summer Jazz Festival featuring George Benson, the Average White Band, and a tribute to Grover Washington, Jr.
The Greek Theatre
Another iconic LA venue, and a classic since 1929, the Greek is a jewel box of an outdoor amphitheater set in the leafy surroundings of Griffith Park. Here are some of this summer’s offerings:
- July 2: Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band
- July 10: Lyle Lovett & His Large Band with guest Emmylou Harris
- July 17: Goo Goo Dolls
- July 22: Meghan Trainor: The Untouchable Tour
- July 30: Bonnie Raitt and her Dig In Deep Tour
- August 9-10: Alabama Shakes
- August 26-27: Josh Groban
Part of the state of the art entertainment complex LA Live, Staples Center in downtown LA is a premium concert venue when it’s not hosting the LA Lakers, Clippers, Kings or Sparks. Some of this summer’s star performers include:
- July 8: Selena Gomez
- August 2: Barbra Streisand
- August 5-13 (selected dates): Adele
- August 25: 98 Degrees
- August 28: Kool & The Gang
The Santa Monica Pier
For a taste of quintessential Southern California, pack a picnic and enjoy the free summer concert series on the Santa Monica pier every Thursday night from July 7 through September 8. For thirty-two years, the series has featured local, up-and-coming talent that has given audiences bragging rights to “I saw them way back when.” Concerts start at 7 p.m. and run until 10. Get there early for a space on the sand and watch the sun set. Heaven!
The LA Food Fest
From July 8 to 10, downtown’s Exposition Park is home to the seventh annual LA Food Fest. You can go á la carte, purchasing individually priced food, beer, wine, and craft cocktails from over one hundred vendors, or you can buy a ticket for “the stretchy pants special” that gives you two full hours of unlimited offerings.
If you can stand more than that, the festival also features a pop-up restaurant with multi-course sit down meals served family style. There’s entertainment, a live culinary stage, the “Food Porn” cinema, and lots of shady spots to rest and catch your breath. Check here for more information.
Want to save this post? Pin it for later!
This is a guest post.