The Most Important Muscle For Travel

This post was sponsored by Think About Your Eyes as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central. I received compensation as a thank you for my review.

Over the last few years of travel I have looked into the depths of the grand canyon, across sweeping sky lines in cities across the world and visually drank in art and architecture that few have the opportunity to see. During all of my journeys, there is always that moment when I see something that makes me stop and think – I am so lucky. I am so lucky to be in this place. I am so lucky to have this opportunity. I am so lucky to witness this moment. And I want to share it with everyone and so I photograph it. I try to capture this small moment in my journey in a way that I can share with people.

king penguin one on one

But what never seems to cross my mind, in that blatant hit-you-over-the-head sort of way, is that I’m lucky to see this. I am blessed with a pair of eyes that, while they might be getting a little older, still allow me to drink in the visual splendor of my journey. In the last year I have been working hard to train my body so that it will allow me to continue to travel. That includes eating fresh, balanced meals to nourish me, and exercise to be healthy and strong, but I take for granted the one part of my body that allows me to take in the world – my eyes.

When you stop and think about travel, you can overcome many health obstacles: being out of shape, the inability to walk, and other physical ailments, but it is very hard to overcome the inability to witness all the splendor the world offers. Think About Your Eyes is a national public awareness campaign that promotes the benefits of eye health, urging people to get annual comprehensive eye exams. Recently Think About Your Eyes surveyed members of national fitness center chain Life Time Fitness, and found that some gym-goers neglect their eye health despite being very conscious of their body health and fitness.

TAYE Gifographic_FINAL

Just like all other muscles, our eyes need regular care to maintain maximum performance.  In fact, according to the World Health Organization, 80% of all visual impairment can be prevented or cured. But first its necessary to detect problems with an eye exam. By getting an annual comprehensive eye exam, eye problems can be detected at their early stages when they’re most treatable. Visit the Think About Your Eyes eye care professional locator to find an eye doctor near you and schedule an exam.

35 thoughts on “The Most Important Muscle For Travel”

1. This is a really good point. I have needed to get an eye exam for a couple years, and I wear glasses! Good reminder.

2. I agree with you regular eye exam is needed. My eyes take a beaten reading in the dark bad light i have to get my check up.

3. What a beautiful post!! I have worn glasses since I was 3 and I have always valued my eyes and the memories they allow me to create and hold on to.

4. What a great reminder to be thankful for our health everyday. It seems we don’t take the time to think about it until we lose it. Thank you for sharing.

5. I’m legally blind so I’m all about eye health! You don’t realize how valuable something is until something bad happens. Your eyes are so important

6. After reading your post and learning that 80% of visual impairment can be prevented or cured, I put scheduling an eye exam on my to do list. It’s so easy to overlook things that are so important in our lives.

7. Very good tip and reminder about taking care of our important muscle. Our eyes truly needs constant care. Thanks for this!

8. As I age, glasses have become a necessity. It’s frustrating to be without them when I need to read something and can’t. It is a blessing we take for granted. Thanks for sharing. The picture of the penguin made me smile.

9. I like the picture with the penguin. So cute!!! Anyway thanks for sharing this post. I will keep this in my mind.

10. This is a very good reminder that we should all take care of our eyes. It’s important to have it checked from time to time. My heart broke when I learned that I needed to wear glasses, but that’s the price I have to pay for not paying close attention.

11. It’s definitely unwise to neglect your eyes. I had my last exam a few months ago. Surprisingly, my prescription changed.

12. I think a lot of us forget how important our eyesight is, and how much we rely upon it. Taking good care of our windows to the soul is essential.

13. Both the hubs and I make sure that we don’t miss our eye exam appointments every year. We truly believe it’s very important.

14. I have to go for eye tests regular because after having 2 kids my eyes have gotten worse. Got 2 different glasses prescription – one for driving and one for the computer.

15. I’ve had issues with my eyes since I was a child, so I am always careful to keep my yearly check up appointments. I am legally blind in my right eye, so I am hyper aware of anything not quite right with my left and will make an appt to go in in a heart beat!

16. This is a very interesting post. I didn’t know that this was the most important muscle for traveling. I should have known though. I mean you do use your eyes a lot when traveling. Of course this would make so much sense.

17. It is so important to take care of your eyes. I have our eyes checked every years. My Daughter has to do eye exercises to help her lazy eye.

18. I think the eyes are one of the most important parts of the body! And they are so overlooked, I recently went to the eye doctor and now I have to wear my glasses all the time. Ugh. But I will do it because I want to be able to see and I don’t want them to get any worse than they already are.

19. Honestly, I had no idea what was the most important muscle for traveling until this post. This is great to know about especially when I travel. Thanks for sharing it!

20. The Penguins are beautiful and that is cool that you were able to see a wide variety of them up close. I have only seen the ones at the zoo.

Your right, your eye sight is important. I plan on getting my eyes checked soon.

21. This looks like a fabulous experience! Penguins are such interesting creatures! I agree that your vision is something that you should not take for granted and need to care for just as you would an other area of your body.

22. Those are fun statistics for eye exams! I know with how much I have to use a computer I am super cautious of getting my eye exams done

23. Oh I definitely am overdue for my annual eye exam! I dont know why but I do neglect it so so much! I should take your advice and go get checked out asap!

24. You are very right. We have traveled a lot in our family and I have to say I and grateful for my eyes. You cannot enjoy everything that you see without them.

25. Think About Our Eyes sounds like a great campaign. It’s sad that many of us neglect to take care of our eyes. I hope this program will encourage people to get eye check ups regularly.

26. It’s so important to take care of your eyes. We all go for our physical exams for our bodies, but I know so many people who don’t get routine eye checks.