Tired of sticking to the same old cauliflower rice recipes? Try our irresistible cheesy cauliflower recipe instead. Follow these instructions to make yourself one of the most delicious cheesy casserole recipes ever. It’s low carb and keto-friendly too!
I needed a dish that would get my kids excited about vegetables without feeling like they were being forced to eat something they didn’t want to.
They loved cheesy dishes so much that it seemed like an easy solution for me: just make a cauliflower bake!
This irresistible cheesy cauliflower recipe that will have you and your family (yes, even the kids) coming back for seconds. Follow these instructions to make yourself one of the most delicious cheesy casserole recipes you’ll try.
It takes all those kids-disapproved veggies and is a great way to hide them in the most delicious cheesy goodness you’ll ever taste.
This dish is perfect for anyone who wants to eat healthier without sacrificing taste or texture – so basically everyone! (And for sneaking in those veggies to the kids and husband.)
How to adapt this cauliflower casserole recipe
No need to eat roast cauliflower just for this dish. Any tender roasted, blanched, or steam vegetables are also suitable.
Brussels sprouts, green beans and broccoli are the best vegetables to try as either substitutions or adding in some different flavors.
Avoid using soft, spreadable cheeses like brie and camembert, since these tend to make the sauce more fatty.
The recipe is easy to make with any type of already melted cheese.
If you’re trying to keep this low carb or keto friendly, you may want to substitute a mixture of heavy cream and water, unsweetened almond or coconut milk for whole milk.
What to serve with cheesy cauliflower?
This is a cheesy baked cauliflower side dish which is unapologetically indulgent. It intends to replicate the luxury you expect from side plates offered in high end steakhouses or expensive Sunday roasts.
So with those points in mind, there would be a number of main things that would go very well with that like our Cowboy Steak or Roast Chicken.
This would also be excellent served with buffalo wings and blue cheese on game day or paired with our gluten free chicken tenders.
If you’d like to make a satisfying vegetarian meal, pair this with our Thai Red Curry. The cheesy goodness will help tone down any heat from the curry. (Although ours isn’t terribly spicy!)
How to store and save cheesy cauliflower casserole leftovers
First of all, you need to make sure that your cauliflower bake is completely cooled off before putting it in a container.
I suggest that you separate and save it in single portions to make reheating easier rather than freezing it right in the baking dish.
Use an airtight container like a plastic or glass Tupperware or a freezer ziplock bag.
You can store your leftover cheesy cauliflower casserole for 3-4 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer.
What can I do with leftovers?
One of the most common questions people have about our cheesy cauliflower is “what do I do with the leftovers?”
Here are some ideas for the best ways to use your cheesy cauliflower casserole leftovers:
- make a casserole sandwich the next day
- serve it as the main course by mixing in pasta, rice or chicken
- turn it into a delicious breakfast by mixing in some eggs and ham
- make a tasty lunch by adding in some chopped veggies like peppers, mushrooms or tomatoes
- turn it into a loaded mashed potato knockoff by mashing the florets into the cheese and then topping with cheese, butter and sour cream
- mix in some curry powder to give this a whole new life as an Indian inspired side dish
There’s always something you can do with your cheesy cauliflower!
How to make a cheesy cauliflower casserole
This easy and hearty recipe for cheesy cauliflower will keep everyone asking for another serving of vegetables.
It’s full of tender cauliflower and baked in a creamy and dreamy cheese sauce which gives a mac and cheese appeal but with vegetable goodness.
*If you don’t have a cast iron skillet or an oven safe pan, you can pour everything into a casserole dish or baking sheet when moving on to the baking step.
- 4 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tsp garlic powder, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Let’s start by pre-heating the oven to 350F.
Next, let’s gather our ingredients and chop our whole cauliflower into cauliflower florets so they are all roughly the same size. This will help them to cook more evenly.
In a cast iron skillet (or any oven safe pan), cook the bacon to your desired doneness over medium heat.
Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
Wipe away or pour out most of the bacon grease, leaving about 1 tbsp for the next step.
Add the diced onions and cauliflower to the pan where it will begin cooking in some of that tasty grease left behind.
Stir occasionally until the onions are translucent and the cauliflower is browned (about 4-5 minutes).
Place the milk in a microwave safe container (a ceramic coffee mug works great!). Set it to 25 seconds on high power.
After microwaving, whisk slowly until cornstarch has been thoroughly incorporated into mixture – about 1 minute total stirring with a spoon works well.
Gently pour the warmed milk and cornstarch mixture into the cauliflower, stirring occasionally. It will resemble a creamy soup. Heat through for about 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat and sprinkle both cheeses and the bacon on top of your cauliflower bake.
This is your best opportunity to have some bacon and cheese accidentally fall into your mouth.
Now we are going to pop our cheesy goodness in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8-10 minutes or until the cheeses are melted.
Once it has cooled down a bit (about 10-15 minutes), I recommend serving yourself some cheesy cauliflower casserole by scooping out the florets onto an individual plate before topping them with even more cheese and melted butter!
If you want it to burst with flavor, try adding some Italian seasoning and cayenne pepper.
Yummm… now go ahead and dig in!
The Ultimate Cheesy Cauliflower Recipe
- cast iron skillet
- 4 cups cauliflower chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a cast iron skillet (or any oven safe pan), cook the chopped bacon to your desired preference over medium heat.
- Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Wipe away or pour out most of the bacon grease, leaving about 1 tbsp for the next step.
- Add the diced onions and cauliflower to the same pan used for the bacon and saute over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the onions are translucent and the cauliflower is browned (about 4-5 minutes).
- Heat the milk in a microwave for 25 seconds, then whisk in the cornstarch slowly in small amounts.
- Gently pour the warmed milk and cornstarch mixture into the cauliflower, stirring occasionally. Heat through for about 2 minutes. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle both cheeses and the bacon on top of the cauliflower mixture.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheeses are melted.
- Let cool and then serve immediately. Best enjoyed warm.