New YorkTravel

5 Things You MUST Do In New York City

new york at night

I took my first trip to NYC last summer but unfortunately my ill planning combined with a working trip meant I didn’t get to experience as much as I would have liked. It’s an amazing city and what I did experience took my breath away. If you’re only there for a short time, I recommend making sure to do at the very least these 5 things to get a well rounded NYC experience.

city-869064_1280

Times Square After 10 P.M.

This is an activity I recommend in the summer. During the day Time Square is noisy and busy but at night it’s electric. There are street performers everywhere, people aren’t rushing to and from work, they’re looking to have a good time. I love the way you can feel the liveliness.

While you’re there make sure to go to the Top of the Rock. The NY city skyline is spectacular at night. The top viewing deck has a panoramic view of Manhattan. You can also see the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building.

new-york-city-1510154_1280

Eat at A Food Cart

This is one of those things you just have to do, I had the best hot dog – make sure to get it with all the works! Tip: They’re best to grab on your walk back to the hotel after a late night trip to Times Square.

Catch a Show

It’s New York City and you probably can’t make a bad choice but if you’re looking for suggestions…

• Kinky Boots on Broadway
    From Grammy Award-winning Cyndi Lauper and four-time Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein comes a story about two people who discover that when you change your mind about someone, you can change your whole world.

memorial-992563_1280

9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero

This place is indescribable. It’s wear new clashes again old. There is silence amidst chaos. Sadness wars with hope. I know that’s a lot of conflicting descriptors but they’re all accurate. As I walked along the fenced off ground there was rubble everywhere. But there was also a sense of hope and freshness as you watch the One World Trade Center and the National September 11 Memorial & Museum being built. The construction crews are hard at work and their noisy but if you step back and look around you’ll notice that many of the people watching are absolutely silent.

The Tenement Museum

This museum is located in an actual tenement building and is dedicated to telling the immigrant experience on New York City’s Lower East Side.

Ashley

Ashley

Ashley spends her days avoiding run-ons as she turns words from yellow to chartreuse and wearing out the M & N keys writing about Travel, DIY, and Tech. She hopes to inspire the masses to travel and LIVE happily one InstaTweetPin at a time.

NBC Studios Tour + Top of The Rock Observation Deck

Puerto Rico Destination Wedding: Everything You Need To Know

1. February 2, 2015 at 1:29 pm — Reply

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been to NYC, but I would love to return and visit what I didn’t see the first time (which I’m sure is a long list). I love the energy of the city and I was thrilled to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I would love to see “Kinky Boots” on Broadway!

2. January 13, 2014 at 6:28 pm — Reply

Perfect timing for this post! Ashley leaves for NYC on Wednesday morning for a graduation gift trip. She’s staying at the Marriott in Times Square :) She already tickets to the Lion King, and she’s going to the 9/11 Memorial. I’ll have to tell her to be sure and grab something to eat from a food cart.

3. January 12, 2014 at 7:42 pm — Reply

These are good ideas about the things to do in NYC. I would not want to live there, but it is a great place to visit and have a good time.

4. January 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm — Reply

I always on the hunt for good food carts in NYC. I haven’t been to a broadway show in such a long time either.

5. Casey
    January 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm — Reply

My husband and I just watched a Netflix documentary about the top ten food carts in America, and one of them was the most incredible, authentic Belgian waffle cart. We were both drooling and wishing we lived in NYC by the time the show was over- lol. We promised each other that the next time we make it to the Big Apple, we WILL track down that cart! :) Thanks for this great list; the last time I was in NYC was back when I was in high school, so I would love to go again and experience it as an adult this time.

6. January 12, 2014 at 11:07 am — Reply

My daughter has been begging for a visit to New York. She even showed e a pic of the NY skyline last night and said “I want to go there.” These sound like really fun ideas. We will do them if we get there this year.

7. January 12, 2014 at 5:21 am — Reply

i love going to food carts when i’m in any city!! and people watching is a MUST

8. January 11, 2014 at 5:35 pm — Reply

Ohhhh, two things I wouldn’t miss out on for the world are Times Square and street meat. Yum!

9. January 11, 2014 at 10:59 am — Reply

YES. The falafel at those food carts is amazing. AMAZING. I love NYC, but I haven’t been down in a few months. Now I have the bug :)

10. January 11, 2014 at 10:17 am — Reply

It’s been ages since I’ve been to NYC. My Mom and I visited Santa Land at Macy’s back in 1990!

11. January 11, 2014 at 10:08 am — Reply

I absolutely agree about Times Square at night. The first time I went to New York, I was totally blown away that the party literally NEVER stopped. We’d be out at 1 or 2 in the morning and there was just as many (if not more) people there than in the daytime. We went out every night because it was just too fun to be out with so many people out and about!

12. January 11, 2014 at 9:16 am — Reply

I’ve only been in NYC for 5 times, short trips, and there’s just so much to see :) I/m so happy we got to go to the top of the Empire State and Rockefeller buildings :)

13. January 10, 2014 at 11:54 pm — Reply

I live only a couple hours outside NYC! Love it! Agree 100% about 9/11 memorial

14. January 10, 2014 at 11:52 pm — Reply

I’ve never been to New York but it’s on my bucket list of travel places. I’ll have to remember all these tips and places to visit when I go!

15. Emily
    January 10, 2014 at 6:28 pm — Reply

I loved doing Empire State Building at night too! Great tips!

16. January 9, 2014 at 5:52 pm — Reply

I was in NYC in 2012 for BlogHer and didn’t do a single one of these LOL!! (I was a smidge busy though…sigh….) This is a great list, one I must do!

17. January 9, 2014 at 10:28 am — Reply

These are great! I’ve only been once (for BlogHer) and had my baby with me, so didn’t get to do too much. I’d love to go again with my husband one day, and do some of these!

18. January 9, 2014 at 9:41 am — Reply

I would love to eat at a food cart in NYC. I did when I was in TX and it was so much fun!

19. January 9, 2014 at 4:29 am — Reply

Ill be there in march too.
    CANNOT WAIT.