Michigan has been unseasonably warm this spring and you can bet I’ve been grilling out every chance I can get! This vegan recipe for Black Bean Tacos on a Bun is perfect for the grill or the frying pan.
- 1 carrot, sliced and steamed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs or finely crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ packet of taco seasoning (or more if desired)
- Vegan cheddar cheese, sliced or shredded
- Burger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Red onion, sliced or diced, optional
- Salsa, optional
- Guacamole, optional
- Vegan Sour cream, optional
- In a large bowl mash together beans and steamed carrots.
- Add in pepper, onion, salsa, bread crumbs (or tortillas) and flour.
- Season with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning, to taste.
- Add flour to firm the mixture, or more salsa if it’s too stiff.
- Form into 8 patties, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Heat a large skillet (or grill) to medium/high.
- Fry (or grill) the patties for about 8 minutes on each side, or until browned and firm.
- You can either add the cheese while the burgers are on the grill (to melt) or wait until they are off the grill to top.
- Serve on buns with desired toppings.
If you liked this recipe be sure to check out “The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen” for more delicious plant-based recipes from around the world.
This recipe and photo reposted with full permission from the author. Award winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, cookbook author, media spokesperson, holistic nutritionist, vegan chef and television personality, Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is a respected figure in the world of healthy lifestyle as well as special diet cooking and nutrition. With a highly acclaimed cookbook and travel show to her credit, Carolyn has traveled the world for her show, site and brand as well as to offer her services as a health and nutrition expert, recipe developer, writer, speaker, consultant and media spokesperson. The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!