So we’ve been on a wrap-everything-we-can-in-bacon kick as of late, and one of my most recent creations has become our new favorite – Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Asparagus Rolls. Very quick and easy to make, these make a great appetizer or side to accompany your favorite steak (like we did!).
Before I share my recipe, I’d like to share a couple of my favorite Grilling Smart-Tips that really come in handy with this recipe in particular. I’ve shared plenty of our grilling adventures and recipes with you, but looking back I’m actually a bit embarrassed that I’ve never shared these with you. I guess I just thought it wasn’t a big secret, but turns out – not everyone knows these!
- Use skewers instead of toothpicks whenever possible. Not only will your wraps stay more tightly closed, but they will be easier to rotate/cook and you won’t have to worry about forgetting to remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Invest in some metal skewers. Not only are they more eco-friendly than the wooden ones, but you’ll avoid those pesky wooden splinters and save time by not having to prep/soak them.
- For easy on and off, spray the skewers with non-stick cooking/baking spray before sliding on your ingredients.
- Prevent your steaks and kabobs from sticking to the grill by spraying non-stick cooking/baking spray directly on to your COOL grill. (Don’t do this to a hot/live grill – it’s dangerous!!)
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp & Asparagus Recipe
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small tub, parmesan cheese shavings
- 1 lb uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut in half
- 1 package of bacon, cut in half
- Metal skewers
- Non-stick cooking/baking spray
- Mix sugar, lemon juice, white wine, olive oil and all spices together. Marinade shrimp in this mixture for 15-30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Spray skewers with a non-stick cooking/baking spray and set aside.
- Place small amount of asparagus, one shrimp and a few parmesan slices in one slice of halved bacon and roll tightly. Slide onto skewers immediately to hold shape.
- Spray COLD grill with non-stick cooking/baking spray then light and heat.
- Grill on LOW heat, about 7 minutes each side. Check often and cook until bacon is well done, but without burning.
TIP FROM BEN: “Keep an eye on the skewers. If they catch fire, they’ll burn up like nobody’s business!”
That’s it! Easy peasy! Enjoy – you’ll be addicted to this one like we are.
PS – If you like things spicy like I do, try adding a slice of jalapeño into the wrap. Remember that grilling peppers makes them spicier so make sure to take that into consideration when choosing the size of your slice!