Easy Tips to Get Your Toddler to Brush Their Teeth

As a mom, I’m always looking for ways to make my life easier. One of the most frustrating things about having a toddler is getting them to brush their teeth every day! But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with an easy tip that your little one will love.

So, your toddler will not brush their teeth? Well, it can be hard to get them to want to do anything. Did you know dentists recommend that kids brush for a full TWO MINUTES?

Sounds simple enough… until you factor in the kid part. It’s hard to get a toddler to focus on anything for two minutes, especially brushing their teeth.

How often should kids brush their teeth?

The dentist recommends that children brush their pearly whites twice a day with toothpaste containing fluoride.

get kids to brush teeth

How can I get my toddler to brush their teeth?

My daughter has always been really good about brushing her teeth. We’ve focused on making it fun from the very beginning but it’s the “2 minute” part that gets her.

But here is an easy way that you might find success. Brush their teeth with them! This way they are seeing the action and doing it themselves too.

At one point I even resorted to allowing HER to brush MY teeth for two minutes. Horrifying right? I was jabbed more times than I can count, but she had no problem brushing my teeth for the full two minutes.

how to get your toddler to brush their teeth

You could also try singing a song while brushing or having a timer go off so they know when it’s time to rinse and spit out the toothpaste.

What are some other idea for getting kids to brush their teeth?

1. Give your child a toothbrush with their favorite character on the handle
  2. Let your toddler brush his or her teeth while watching TV
  3. Brush your teeth together to make it more fun for them
  4. Use stickers and other rewards to motivate them to brush their teeth every day
  5. Offer a reward at the end of each week if they’ve brushed their teeth without being reminded
  6. Have a designated place in the bathroom where they can keep all of their supplies so they don’t forget anything when brushing their teeth, like toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, etc..
  7. Let your toddler brush your teeth until he or she gets the hang of it. The more comfortable they become with brushing their own teeth, the more likely they will be to do it on their own.

Hopefully these tips help you get your toddler on board with taking care of their teeth early in life. Happy brushing!

38 thoughts on “Easy Tips to Get Your Toddler to Brush Their Teeth”

1. My toddler loves I mean loves brushing his teeth. I really think the picture with you and your child is so adorable. SO SO cute.

2. I like that counter. I sing to my kids so they know how tong to brush their teeth. I need that super hero toothpaste, it’s so cute.

3. The timer app is genius! Two minutes to the little ones is like forever for them. I’m going to tell my sister about this.

4. That timer app is a great idea!! I know my nephew loves whenever he can do anything with the iPad or iPhone, so this would definitely be a big help.

5. I need these toothbrushes! My boys are so bad with actually brushing their teeth and not just playing in the water.

6. We love our app. Red now asks for the “EYE pad” after bathtime, with Sully as his character of choice!

7. That sounds like a helpful app. That’s the best picture I’ve seen in a long time, made me laugh. We’ve all had our children try and brush our teeth before, hahaha. It’s not always pleasant (ouch) but whatever helps them think brushing is fun. :)

8. i love this idea for the little ones. These days my kids are old enough todo it on their own even though they don’t always do it well

9. i’ve seen lots of tips this subject. i think this is the first time i’ve seen a calendar though. i’d have to leave the kid in charge of the stars because i’d surely forget

10. I love that you had her brush your teeth hilarious!! My girls would love the app, just not sure I’d want it in the bathroom, maybe in the hallway.

11. What a fun way to get kids to brush their teeth for the right amount of time. I will definitely be downloading this app.

12. This app is so handy. It’s so hard for kids to know how long they need to brush for. This is a big help.

13. What a great way to use technology to get kids to brush their teeth! I’m sure this is super fun for them!

14. This app is a useful tool for parents and fun for the kids. Anything that can teach toddlers about good dental hygiene is a great thing.

15. These brushes are so cute and I love the calendar. My daughter could be a pain about brushing her teeth. Everything is “no” right now.

16. The app is a great idea for getting kids to brush brush brush! My son loves the taste of his toothpaste so it’s easy to get him to do so.

17. Luckily, my son enjoys teeth brushing so we don’t have to do anything too crazy. We sing the ABC song to make sure he gets his 2 minutes in, but I think this app would be more entertaining for him.

18. Love this! Although my toddler loves brushing his teeth right now, I’m sure that this love won’t last forever! I’ll have to keep these tips in mind for the future.

19. I have let my baby brush my teeth too. The worst thing I’ve done is use a toothbrush as a teething tool. My son loves it but now kind of sees it as a toy. I do carry 5 or so in my purses at all times. It’s became our binky. :)

20. I am all for anything that helps them brush and brush better! My guys are ok about brushing, but I would love to see them brush longer!