The Jawbone UP2 vs UP3: Which One is Right For You?

On the surface the Jawbone UP2 and the Jawbone UP3 look pretty similar, with the Jawbone UP2 is a little smaller and lighter than the UP3. The next noticeable difference lies in the price tag with the Jawbone UP2 coming in a bit less than it’s counterpart at $99.99 versus $179.99 for the Jawbone UP3. What could cause the price difference? Lets take a look.

These wearable activity trackers from one of our favorite brands, Jawbone, have quite a few things in common. To begin with, they both access the free UP App where you can see personalized insights and advice thanks to Smart Coach. Of course both of these activity trackers track your activity including steps, calories burned and even your sleep habits. You also have the option of keeping a food log, setting goals, challenging family and friends to duels and accessing leaderboards. In an effort to create a more active you, they also feature a Smart Alarm and Idle Alert. Last but not least, both have a battery life of up to 7 days and come in black or silver.

The Difference

So what sets the Jawbone UP3 apart from the UP2? It comes down to Heart Health Monitoring and Advanced Sleep Tracking. With the Heart Health Monitoring, the Jawbone UP3 uses bioimpedance sensors to look at your heart rate and skin temperature in order to track your sleep phases with a high degree of accuracy. Plus, in addition to regular Sleep Tracking capabilities, Advanced Sleep Tracking adds an additional dimension to understanding your sleep quality by tracking REM (the phase of sleep where dreams occur) and deep sleep. According to the NIH, getting enough sleep in the REM phase is vital to mental health quality.

6316044_I13

So which one is right for you?

The difference between the two activity trackers really lies within the big picture. If you’re someone who is just looking to become more active in your daily life while keeping track of food and helping you reach goals then the Jawbone UP2 has you covered. However, the heart rate monitor and advanced sleep tracking capabilities come into play if you’re looking for a more well rounded picture on everything that affects your health. As most people know, sleep plays an important role in health, while reaching your target heart rates is crucial to successful cardio and fat burn during exercise. If you’re serious about either of these two, then the Jawbone UP3 is the wearable tech solution for you.

The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.

30 thoughts on “The Jawbone UP2 vs UP3: Which One is Right For You?”

1. I really need to get something that tests my sleep patterns, since I don’t sleep that well. I’ll have to look into the up3.

2. I have been thinking about purchasing an activity tracker to help me loose a few pounds for my upcoming wedding. I think the jawbone up2 might be just what I need!!

3. There are so many choices out there these days. I know that jawbone is a good brand! I didn’t know the difference between these two though, thanks for explaining!

4. There is definitely a fashion component to these that you don’t see in some of the other brands. I like that it looks nice and not like a military issue piece of equipment.

5. Either one would be a step up for me. My daughter could definitely use one with all her weight lifting and running.

6. I was always looking at the Jawbone and I really like the Up3, maybe I’ll add it to my list for birthday presents! ;)

7. I would love to use one of these. I have been looking into getting one but can’t decide. This one looks great!

8. Gorgeous fitness trackers. They will go with pretty much any outfit. I’ll have to check out the up3. I really need to find out what I’m doing at night where I’m not feeling rested.

9. I just ordered an activity tracker similar to these. Although I get plenty of exercise, I’m curious about sleep activity and regular, non-workout activity. I love the data available.

10. I would love to have a tracker like this because even though I run around with my boys all of the time, I really don’t track my physical activity. The simple UP2 would be the one for me since I am not super tech savvy.

11. I had a FitBit and never used it, so I threw it away LOL. I think these are pretty neat gadgets for people who are trying to track their progress.

12. Thanks for the interesting comparison. I’ve had a FitBit and a Garmin, but never a Jawbone… I like the features it seems to have that others do not so it’s certainly something worth considering when I’m looking for an upgrade! Thanks for the comprehensive review! – Jerusha, TheDisneyChef.com

13. I think I would like to try the UP2 first. I think the simplicity of it seems like something I could handle to begin with.

14. They both sound interesting, but I think I would have to choose the UP3 for the Heart Health Monitoring.

15. I don’t wear one of these – my husband used to when he was on a diet and he only wears it now whilst exercising. But his birthday is coming up and I will likely get him a new one

16. I have been wanting to get one of these but wasn’t sure which one to get! Thank you for sharing the difference between the UP2 and UP3 :)

17. I’ve not heard of the jawbone before! I use a fitbug orb but mostly to check my steps I work in an office so can be sat for hours. I don’t normally check my calories etc … I’m not sure I’d like to use a heart rate monitor! I’m so unfit! hehe!