How to Have the Most Epic Summer Road Trip in Michigan

Ah, the days of sweet summer sunshine mixed with endless backyard barbecues and children laughing while running through sprinklers are finally upon us. After a long winter like the one we just had, I’m extra itchy for some sort of epic family adventure – a “Mother-of-all-trips.”

Something to be savored at a relaxing pace and that will be reminisced about to grandchildren and great-grandchildren alike.

No, this isn’t some mythical unicorn of a trip that only happens in my head during those rare moments alone on the couch. It is real, and here is how you can make it happen this summer.

Lakes to visit in Michigan
Overlooking the Straits of Mackinac near the Arch Rock at Mackinac Island State Park.

Imagine a road trip that took you through a bustling major U.S. city, scuba diving for shipwrecks, camping in the woods, lounging on the beach, fishing, boating, hiking, visiting an island without cars, exploring local vineyards, falling in love with art AND seeing four of the five great lakes.

It’s real folks, and you’ll need about 10 days in Michigan to do it.

Lakes to visit in Michigan

10-Day Michigan Lakes Road Trip Itinerary

From Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. 10 days and 1044 miles of new adventures. Touring the Lakes of Michigan 10 days / 1044 miles / 18 hours 16 minutes

In this month’s Alamo Scenic Route blog post, I share a detailed 10-day itinerary for the Ultimate Summer Driving Tour of Michigan Lakes complete with what to do, where to stay and the best eats to be had.

Starting at the Detroit airport, I take you on a 10-day trip starting in the city and escaping to the Upper Peninsula and back. We will exploring 4 of the 5 Great Lakes, and get a chance to enjoy the many beach towns along the way.

Fun fact: World Book Encyclopedia (v. 13, p. 500 of the 2000 edition) says that Michigan has more shoreline than any other state (except Alaska) at 3,288 miles.

More Michigan Travel Inspiration

Alamo Blog Disclaimer Tile 092116

21 thoughts on “How to Have the Most Epic Summer Road Trip in Michigan”

1. Looks and sounds like an amazing trip to be able to see all 5 lakes. How cool. Definitely bookmarking this for our future trip to Michigan. Thanks for sharing.

2. I would love to go on a road trip to Michigan and visit all these lakes! Are there any other highlights of your road trip except the lakes?

3. Thanks for the guide! I don’t exactly know much about where to go and what to do in Michigan, I do know that there’s plenty to explore there with the kids!

4. This must be one of the most awesome road trips anyone can take. I love the scenic views, the activities and other things only Michigan can offer. I have to ask my husband if we can consider this and include it in our travel bucket list this year.

5. I have been to Michigan only once, to visit my aunt and her family. I haven’t toured the place extensively, but I hope to do that the next time I visit. My mom has been asking me to take her there. She said she hasn’t seen her sister in ages!

6. I have yet to travel to Michigan. I have heard wonderful things about Mackinac which you mentioned. Definitely adding it to my list of places to visit.

7. Sounds amazing and I’ve always heard great things about Michigan! Thanks for the guide, I’ll make sure to check it out!

8. That looks like a great trip to 4 lakes and what a way to keep cool. I loved the little Michigan geography lesson.

9. Despite living in Wisconsin since 2000, I’ve only just begun to explore Michigan. I love that this trip is all laid out and can’t wait to try it out!!

10. I love the idea of taking a road trip through an area you have not visited before. Michigan seems like such a beautiful place to visit!

11. So many wonderful lakes in Michigan, the coastline looks so beautiful! A road trip throughout the state would be great!

12. Oh this is great! A lot of my family lives in Michigan and it would be cool to plan for some fun things when I visit them.

13. I would love to do a road trip in Michigan with the family. Well.. I would love to do a Summer trip. Nothing in the Winter.

14. I love this post! I have to bookmark it. We’ve only been able to get up there once, but we really want to get back again.

15. Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. I LOVE the beaches there. They have such beautiful coast line.