Moms, It Is Both Necessary & Important to Make Time For Ourselves

p

Mom and Daughter

In 2011, the First Lady made headlines everywhere for saying that it’s OKAY to occasionally put herself first. In an interview with Barbara Walters, Michelle Obama explained that like so many women, she too gets so busy taking care of others that she has to make it a point to make herself a priority, to put herself first. She explained that “It’s practical… And I found other women, in similar situations, balancing career and family, trying to do it all, and a lot of times we just slip pretty low on our own priority list because we’re so busy caring for everyone else.”

Even she admitted that it may sound selfish, but it’s not. I have to agree with her. When I stop making time for myself, before too long I become a person I don’t like. I am frazzled, stressed out and run down. I stop investing in my appearance because “there is no time.” I’m running from place to place to place. All the while feeling like I have not accomplished anything. The anger comes easily and the laughter does not.

Continue this story here.

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

25 thoughts on “Moms, It Is Both Necessary & Important to Make Time For Ourselves”

1. You are right. As mothers we dedicate so much of ourselves to our children. We need to find a way to make time for ourselves.

2. This is SO important! So many moms feel like they must always be last – especially when it comes to their kids. But I’ve learned that happy mom = happy kids.

3. I agree with you 100%. I feel more engaged with the family when I’ve taken care of myself. It helps fight off depression and just puts a smile on my face.

4. It is very easy to put your needs behind the needs of your family. I used to do that all the time, especially when I was a single mom. Now that I am married, it is much easier to take the time that I need for myself.

5. It is so hard to take the time to decompress and take time for yourself. I am trying to wake up earlier each day to have my alone time.

6. taking time for ourselves as moms is so important. You’d put the oxygen mask on first if you were on a plane, it’s the same thing!

7. I make time for myself on the train ride to and from work. I read silly magazines or my must-read book, surf the internet and try to decompress from work before going into mom mode at home.

8. As a homeschooling Mom, it’s not always easy to make time for myself. I find that I must, though, if I am to keep my sanity!

9. I’m a strong believer in making time for yourself. You’re not doing your family any favors when you become miserable and depressed!

10. My gym time is my daily me time, if end up missing it I get a bit cranky! I think all moms do need to allow time in their day to do something that makes them healthier and happier!

11. I really struggle with taking time for myself because I feel guilty or a I feel like I will miss something or something will happen, but I am working towards doing more for myself and giving myself a time out to regroup!

12. I really need to work time for myself into my schedule! I am too busy all the time! Maybe I’ll have to start getting up even earlier, lol.

13. I make time for myself daily when I shut off everything and read a book for at least 30 minutes a day. It’s relaxing and something I love to do. Plus it’s something I can do from anywhere.

14. Now that my kids are grown I spend a lot of time on me – computer time, walks with Kingers, sitting outside, all kids of me time. When the kids were little I never seem to do anything for myself. Not any more

15. I run a home daycare and I normally take time for myself when it is nap time! I normally do what I like to do.. be it read, check out netflix or do a quick clean up or something creative. Don’t really get that when my kids get home.

16. I think it’s BEYOND important to make times for ourselves as mothers. I know I spend 90% of my day tending to my little one and everyone else around me. I don’t often put myself first but when I do it sure does feel amazing. I think we all need a little TLC from time to time.

17. It is so hard when you have kids to feel good about putting yourself first, but I agree, we should all do it. We would be a much happier Mommy.

18. I make time for myself every single day when I workout. It’s at least an hour by myself and that break & chance to recharge makes me a better wife and mother.