What’s in Your Travel Carry On Bag?

a9c964fFlying about 90,000 miles a year, I’d like to say I’ve got my travel carry on backpack contents down to a science. I’m one of those that don’t mind going heavy because I won’t be carrying it for long and if it saves me from having to check a bag, then I’m all for it. I always bring a backpack full of my essential gear that I may need access to on the plane, and a roller carryon for clothes and bathroom items. The contents may vary slightly depending on purpose and destination of travel, but flying solo this would be my must have carry on items.

huggies stylish baby wipes 2

• Laptop. Doesn’t matter what the purpose of the trip, I ALWAYS have my laptop with me. I even take it on long car drives. Some may call me a work-a-holic, I’d rather think of it as being prepared.
  • Phone. I do quite a bit of triage and work from my phone. It’s also my lifeline seeing as I don’t know anyone’s phone number but my own O_o. I’ve placed this super convenient sticky pocket on the back on my case so that I can always have my Drivers License, debit card and cash on me without the need of a purse. I’m prone to forgetting all kinds of things when leaving the house, but I always take my phone!
  • ID and Cash. While my DL is on my phone, I also carry my Global Entry Card (federally issued ID), my International Travel Writers Alliance Press Card, Health Insurance Card and a small amount of Cash.
  • Charging cables and extra batteries. I hate being tied down to a wall outlet and usually don’t even have access to one when I need it. So I always carry my Lenmar Helix charger as well as my Lenmar Chug Plug to make sure I can work on longer flights. The Helix is for my phone and tablet while the Chug Plug recharges my MacBook!
  • Something Spicy. Yes, I carry a variety of hot sauce with me everywhere I go. Don’t judge.
  • Canon 7D DSLR. While I usually don’t need my camera while in transit, my backpack is the safest place I can carry it. I know it won’t get knocked around and it’s always on my person. I would cry for days if I ever lost or damaged this camera, even though I own about 8 others.
  • LensPen. Dust, smears and fingerprints on my DSLR lens really bother me. I always carry this LensPen around with me – it works great on any camera lens and I use it on my point-and-shoots as well. Seriously the best $6 you’ll ever spend for your cameras!
  • Chapstick. Airplane air wreaks havoc on your lips. My favorite is Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm in Pomegranate. Soft and just a dash of natural color.
  • Pen. They never give out pens on the plane for those pesky international forms.
  • Wipes. I started carrying these around once I became a mom. But I continue to bring them with me, even on solo trips, because they are just so handy to have. Great for cleaning up messes and spills, “washing” your hands or face in a pinch, wiping down icky seats and armrests and fantastic for travel to hot/humid destinations. They are a great way to cool down – just wipe neck, arms, chest and face for some instant relief!
  • Not pictured: Sunglasses (in a hard shell case), alcohol mini bottle(s), Advil, gum, hand sanitizer and sunscreen wipes.

I used to just put some baby wipes into a ziploc bag and carry those in my backpack but I’m now in love with Huggies new Clutch ‘n’ Clean* Wipes. They are stylish baby wipes, but I really like how useful they are. Sure, the carry case is cute (it comes in 3 different designs), but my favorite feature is the strap. I usually carry the case inside my backpack (I use it as padding to protect my DSLR) but when my bag is just too full, it’s so convenient to be able to just clip it to the outside of my bag as well. They are also re-fillable.

huggies stylish baby wipes 1At home, I clip a pack to Whistler’s dining table chair so we always have them handy..and because I’m just plain lazy. Another great spot is to hang a pack on your bathroom towel rack under your bath towel. While it’s totally cute enough to just let it hang out, if you’d rather be a bit covert about having wipes near the toilet, this is a great way to do it!

What do you have in your travel carry on bag?

Thank you to Huggies for sponsoring today’s post, but my LOVE for their new stylish diaper wipes is all my own! See the other designs and find out how to purchase here.

67 thoughts on “What’s in Your Travel Carry On Bag?”

1. I could have used this post a couple months ago lol. I went on my very first plane trip and had no idea what to bring in my carry on. I over packed.

2. camera, phone, and phone charger, along with my wallet are always the things i make sure i have. i find traveling to be good for my ocd!

3. You have about the same things that I always have in my carry-on-luggage. Well, I usually have gum for the take-offs and landings and I don’t have a lens pen or anything spicy with me. But the rest is basicly the same thing.

4. I always make sure I’m packed and prepared before a trip, it’s best to triple check and make sure you’ve got everything before going.

5. Wow! You fit a lot of stuff in your Carry On Bag! I hadn’t heard of the Lens Pen before. Sounds like something I could definitely use. :)

6. I would just normally put the wipes in a baggy also. These would really come in handy and the designs are cool. Thanks for sharing.

7. I always include 1 pair of pants and a shirt, underwear and a bra in my carry on in case my luggage gets lost. I’ll have something to wear while I go buy new clothes :)

8. Oh what a great place to put travel wipes. I love what goes in your travel bag! Although I work from home, I can’t be without my smartphone. I think if I traveled more, my laptop or tablet would definitely be a must in my bag, plus an air card!

9. FOOD goes with me everywhere! Seems like somebody is always hungry…which means I then need the wipes to clean up the mess!

10. This is an awesome article. I can’t tell how useful this will be for those who don’t travel as much. Thank you for sharing.

11. I carry the whole kitchen sink in my carry on. Well kind of. Anything I need or anyone else on the plane is in my bag.

12. I carry a lot of what you do. I also pack an extra outfit in the event that my checked baggage gets lost, I’ll still have a change of clothes with me.

13. Oh gosh, well I always take some type of wipes along, snacks, lip gloss and advil for sure. I bring several pair of sunglasses just in case I lose one. My eyes can not tolerate the sun well.

14. Ha! My cousin always carries hot sauces with her too. She’ even keeps crushed red peppers in her purse. LOL!

I always have a bunch of stuff for the kids. For myself, I keep my phone handy at all times. I use it for everything.

15. I once got stuck on a flight with no chapstick. It was the worst. I think I have a serious chapstick addiction.

16. The designs on the wipes are cute! I take airplane socks in my carry on for every flight. I ALWAYS wear flip-flops on the plane since they are easy to take on and off in security but then the planes are FREEZING cold, so I pull out my soft furry socks and I’m good to go!

17. That’s a brilliant idea! I could have used that when my kids are little! Great design is it makes life easier.

18. I always keep sanitizer and Nivea lip balm in my bag. I don’t have kids but I always keep a ziplock with wipes in it for anytime my hands get dirty or sticky, I’ll think I’ll switch to this pouch now.

19. Oh yes wipes are our constant companion no matter the activity or where we plan to be. We used baby wipes for most cleaning jobs

20. I love those wipes and that case is darling. Nice camera – I want to upgrade so I’m curious about yours. Your photos from your trips are always so AWESOME!

21. My camera was of course the most important item in my carry on bag when we went to Arizona. My other 2 favorites are chapstick and baby wipes. Great list you have.

22. A lot of what I see in the top picture is in my travel carry on. Actually, my carry on is my purse. It fits everything I need.

23. This is a great list of carry-on items. Mine would be very similar. I love the idea of the sticky pocket on the phone. I hate digging around in my purse/wallet while waiting in lines at the airport. So annoying!

24. I actually do carry wipes in my travel luggage myself! I love the chic designs its not just for baby bottoms anymore!!

25. Good idea to pack the wipes! I think that even after my son is out of diapers, I will continue to carry wipes with us. I am so used to having the easy clean-up tool with me at all times!

26. Those portable wipes packs are perfect for everything! No joke, my daughter knocked my brand new Canon DSLR off the counter today and I thought I would cry. I’ve only had it for two weeks! Fortunately, it didn’t break, and I do have the drops/spills coverage on it!

27. How smart to carry the wipes! I’m laughing over the hot sauce! I do try my best to not check a bag if I can help it!

28. I honestly just picked up a pack of the Huggies wipes (the clutch ‘n clean pouch) this past weekend. We were heading out on a camping trip and I tend to forget a travel size pack of wipes (especially since my toddler is mostly potty trained now.) I love the packaging and that they’re so easy to refill!

29. Those are great suggestions for a travel bag. And I love the Huggies Clutch n Clean wipes. A must have.

30. I don’t leave the house ,much less travel, without my chargers, cables- the whole 9 yards. I cannot be without them! I feel like every time I do happen to leave without them in my bag, every device I have with me dies quicker than usual.

31. I don’t leave the house ,much less travel, without my charges, cables- the whole 9 yards. I cannot be without them! I feel like every time I do happen to leave without them in my bag, every device I have with my dies quicker than usual.

32. Mine looks about the same. I need to look into that LensPen though since those fingerprints bug me too.

33. This is a good list. I thought I commented but I don’t see it, so if this is a duplicate just never mind me. :) I like the suggestion of cash….just a little bit. Seems you always need it when you just don’t have it (airports come to mind!).

34. I love these wipes. It’s easy to keep for a long time and they don’t get sticky with all the snacks in there. I have to wipe the wipes case!

35. Since becoming a mom, I totally get the wipe thing. I like to have them with me all the time.

36. Great list! I always make sure to bring an extra shirt and clothes for my toddler… the one time I don’t have extras wouuld be the ONE time we need them!