Flying about 90,000 miles a year, I’d like to say I’ve got my travel carry on backpack contents down to a science. I’m one of those that don’t mind going heavy because I won’t be carrying it for long and if it saves me from having to check a bag, then I’m all for it. I always bring a backpack full of my essential gear that I may need access to on the plane, and a roller carryon for clothes and bathroom items. The contents may vary slightly depending on purpose and destination of travel, but flying solo this would be my must have carry on items.
- Laptop. Doesn’t matter what the purpose of the trip, I ALWAYS have my laptop with me. I even take it on long car drives. Some may call me a work-a-holic, I’d rather think of it as being prepared.
- Phone. I do quite a bit of triage and work from my phone. It’s also my lifeline seeing as I don’t know anyone’s phone number but my own O_o. I’ve placed this super convenient sticky pocket on the back on my case so that I can always have my Drivers License, debit card and cash on me without the need of a purse. I’m prone to forgetting all kinds of things when leaving the house, but I always take my phone!
- ID and Cash. While my DL is on my phone, I also carry my Global Entry Card (federally issued ID), my International Travel Writers Alliance Press Card, Health Insurance Card and a small amount of Cash.
- Charging cables and extra batteries. I hate being tied down to a wall outlet and usually don’t even have access to one when I need it. So I always carry my Lenmar Helix charger as well as my Lenmar Chug Plug to make sure I can work on longer flights. The Helix is for my phone and tablet while the Chug Plug recharges my MacBook!
- Something Spicy. Yes, I carry a variety of hot sauce with me everywhere I go. Don’t judge.
- Canon 7D DSLR. While I usually don’t need my camera while in transit, my backpack is the safest place I can carry it. I know it won’t get knocked around and it’s always on my person. I would cry for days if I ever lost or damaged this camera, even though I own about 8 others.
- LensPen. Dust, smears and fingerprints on my DSLR lens really bother me. I always carry this LensPen around with me – it works great on any camera lens and I use it on my point-and-shoots as well. Seriously the best $6 you’ll ever spend for your cameras!
- Chapstick. Airplane air wreaks havoc on your lips. My favorite is Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm in Pomegranate. Soft and just a dash of natural color.
- Pen. They never give out pens on the plane for those pesky international forms.
- Wipes. I started carrying these around once I became a mom. But I continue to bring them with me, even on solo trips, because they are just so handy to have. Great for cleaning up messes and spills, “washing” your hands or face in a pinch, wiping down icky seats and armrests and fantastic for travel to hot/humid destinations. They are a great way to cool down – just wipe neck, arms, chest and face for some instant relief!
- Not pictured: Sunglasses (in a hard shell case), alcohol mini bottle(s), Advil, gum, hand sanitizer and sunscreen wipes.
I used to just put some baby wipes into a ziploc bag and carry those in my backpack but I’m now in love with Huggies new Clutch ‘n’ Clean* Wipes. They are stylish baby wipes, but I really like how useful they are. Sure, the carry case is cute (it comes in 3 different designs), but my favorite feature is the strap. I usually carry the case inside my backpack (I use it as padding to protect my DSLR) but when my bag is just too full, it’s so convenient to be able to just clip it to the outside of my bag as well. They are also re-fillable.
At home, I clip a pack to Whistler’s dining table chair so we always have them handy..and because I’m just plain lazy. Another great spot is to hang a pack on your bathroom towel rack under your bath towel. While it’s totally cute enough to just let it hang out, if you’d rather be a bit covert about having wipes near the toilet, this is a great way to do it!
What do you have in your travel carry on bag?
Thank you to Huggies for sponsoring today’s post, but my LOVE for their new stylish diaper wipes is all my own! See the other designs and find out how to purchase here.
67 thoughts on “What’s in Your Travel Carry On Bag?”
Looks like you are a very efficient packer!
I never take my laptop because I’m worried about it getting damaged. I always bring my camera too.
camera, phone, and phone charger, along with my wallet are always the things i make sure i have. i find traveling to be good for my ocd!
You have about the same things that I always have in my carry-on-luggage. Well, I usually have gum for the take-offs and landings and I don’t have a lens pen or anything spicy with me. But the rest is basicly the same thing.
I think it is more whats is missing from my carry on like everything but legos