Maintaining Great Friendships: It’s the Little Things

NYE

I’ve never been one to make friends easily. I kept the same core group of friends throughout my entire high school career, in fact we’re still friends today. But as life moved on and I moved away from the security of my hometown, making new friends became inevitable. Luckily, I inherited some pretty amazing friends when I landed a job at the local video store in my college town. The small staff quickly became a very close knit group of friends. Despite moves across the state and even across the country, I managed to keep two amazing girlfriends from this job and for my 21st birthday we got together to celebrate and ring in the New Year. Without going into to the sordid details they helped me ring in birthday in proper fashion.

Our relationship then was very different than it is today. It was built on things most college friendships are made of like holding each other up through late night study sessions, having someone to hold your hair back on your birthday, complaining about our part time job and who had the worst professors. It was summer bon fires, tanning on the beach and dreaming of spring breaks we could never afford to take.

These days we’re both married with kids, and we have busy jobs and hectic schedules. A few months ago, my family and I were invited to dinner in their new home. It was such a great night, having our families enjoy one another and creating more memories. I’m so thankful that ours is a friendship that easily picks up as if it never left off, even though we don’t get together as much as we would like anymore.

sarah jessica parker hallmark cards

Making the effort to keep in touch by phone and by mail, definitely helps in maintaining the bond. In a digital world, it’s so nice to get a note or card via snail mail. Today I’m sending her a Hallmark card co-designed by Sarah Jessica Parker. Sex in the City is one of her favorite movies (we did work in a video store after all) and it’s only fitting that Sarah’s role involved making unforgettable memories with friends.

What do you do to maintain your close friendships?

LIASO Footer
This post is written on behalf of Hallmark by me. All opinions are 100% mine.

52 thoughts on “Maintaining Great Friendships: It’s the Little Things”

1. We definitely like to send cards just because. But, I make sure to send her a text every now and again when a fun memory comes to mind.

2. Love maintaing relationships, especially those that are long distance. I try to reach out every once and a while and see how they are doing.

3. As I read this, I was thinking that friendships are so precious because we don’t always find people who really get us… The little things do make a difference.

4. The older we get the more important we realize good friendships are…and the less we do to nurture them. Why is that??? Sending a card or note is such an easy, and a great idea!

5. It’s hard to maintain friendships sometimes – both friends need to make an effort to keep the friendship going. A phone call, a card or letter, or even an e-mail so you just don’t lose touch and turn into ‘an old friend’/

6. loved reading this! so important to remember and often times our friends tend to get tossed to the side when life gets busy!

7. Love these cards! I try to have a meal with my girlfriends at least once a month. If nothing else we do some quick shopping.

8. My BFF and I talk everyday throughout the day via fb and text. I think it’s important to keep in touch in some way or another.

9. I love getting letters or cards in the mail. I do love instantaneous technology though too. It seems like you have a great core of friends and I think those friends are all you need.

10. I never really watched Sex in the City but that’s such a great little note you put for her on there. I also didn’t know that SJP was designing for Hallmark, I’ll have to check that out.

11. I still love to send and receive snail mail. It’s always nice to get something hand written in the mail. I try to send my friends cards from time to time too, just to let them know I was thinking of them. Great post. Love the hand writing, wish mine was that pretty.

12. I think the internet is my main way of staying connected with family I don’t get to see. I love the Hallmark products though. Been buying them for as long as I can remember.

13. I agree. It is so easy to let time slip through your fingers. I am going to have to take care to reach out to my friends.

14. It is hard sometimes to maintain those old friendships. I have to say that because of Facebook, it has been easier for me to connect with some old ones…and it’s definitely easier to maintain them that way when they live in another part of the country.

15. It’s hard to maintain friendships with such busy lives. A simple text or message just to say hi is always nice to show you’re thinking of that person.

16. Very sweet! I’ve hung on to many old friends but have also made new ones along the way. I think it’s so important to have friends from all walks of life.

17. Sweet post. The best friendships always go on forever, even when you don’t have time to catch up for long periods of time. It feels like you were never apart – that’s what makes it a true friendship :)

18. As the book of Proverbs say, you need to be a friend if you want to have a friend. I have sanguine personality so I tend to open up conversation and break the ice when I meet new people. I love being around people and would surely want to know as many people as possible. As this might be the case, I can still say that I make great friends who I kept for the last decades. Friendship is a commitment and investing in a relationship is really one of the best investments you can ever make. :)

19. I think maintaining and nurturing your friendships is very important. I have a best friend who had been in my life since we were three years old and to this day we remain super close. We may not get to talk every single day but when we do, it is like no time has passed at all.

20. I tend to have befriended single people when I was younger, which was fine when I was single too. Now my once-close friends (mostly still single and baby-less) are in a completely different place in life than I am. It’s hard to keep up when you have kids and a spouse and they do not.

21. I try to get together with my friends by meeting for dinner or hanging out by the pool. Another group of friends and I schedule regular camping trips together in the Spring and Fall. I’m going to two of them next month. :-)

22. I have had fun asking my friends who is Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, or Miranda. I think I fall between Charlotte and Miranda. Although it would have been fun to be Samantha. Glad you had a great time catching up with your friend.

23. My core group of friends (from middle school!) is still my core group now. We talk somewhat regularly, text, email and visit when possible. I definitely need to get back into sending more cards!

24. I haven’t seen this new Hallmark line yet. I love anything SJP! I mostly keep in touch with friends through texting. It’s the easiest since we’re all busy.

25. I find it harder to maintain friendships as we get older and our lives get so busy. We still try to get together in person several times per year because just “chatting” on Facebook alone doesn’t do it!

26. Oh my goodness this is something I stress to my daughter… Keep your friends close forever.. even if you move on opposite ends of the world.. friends are one of the most important things you can ever ask for. Friends become family! I have a good friend from school… we’ve been friends since elementary school.. we never see each other but w social media & telephone calls… it’s as if we’ve never left each other!

27. I often have to remind myself to make time for other people. I am one of those people that is totally okay with spending time either by myself or with my boyfriend or family and leaving it at that. I do really enjoy myself when I do get out with friends though.

28. Social Media has definitely allowed me to keep in touch with dear friends. I actually speak to them more today then years previously.

29. It used to be phone calls, but now it’s emails and facebook messages. I just try to stay in touch with my closest pals each day several times. Actually a written message would be so thoughtful though!

30. It is sad top say but I keep in touch by text messages. We are all moms now and finding the time to sneak away from our babies to actually talk is impossible so texting has proven to be the best method.

31. I feel like I have so much less time for friends than I did before kids. But then again, we are all in the same boat, so I guess we will all catch up in our retirement.

32. I’m kind of glad my BF doesnt use facebook – it MAKES me call and text her. Old school is the best! :)

33. Its hard to maintain friendships in our busy lives. I admit, I tend to stick to social media as the easiest way but it certainly isn’t the most personal! A nice card for a special occasion is a must!

34. I love that you sent her a card instead of just a regular email! I have kind of lost contact with most friends who have moved away, except for two. We keep in touch via text messages, phone calls and Facebook, and we try to visit each other at least once a year. I actually just spent the weekend with one of them when she came into town to visit!

35. I love the new Sarah Jessica Parker line of cards from Hallmark. They are absolutely beautiful. I love sending and getting cards in the mail as well. It’s a great way to maintain a friendship.

36. Social media has me keeping tabs on my friends and vice versa, but I try and plan visits to those of my best friends who have moved away. I love to travel, so it’s doubly worth it! Local friends, I insist we have a meal out at least once a month to share!

37. Making friends was so much easier for me when I was younger. SO much easier. Now; i get too shy. It’s hard to open up and build that close friendship. I have “friends” but not really super close that i can tell my struggles to. It’s sad. I miss that close bond. But We move around so much; it is hard to dedicate the time to build them.

Facebook has been how I manage my old friends from when I was young. The really close ones. I’m horrible at email or actual mail. But FB messaging is pretty easy.