Tips For Introducing Your Child to Golf

trackrun
Maybe your child has expressed an interest in golf on their own or maybe they’re following in a family member’s footsteps. Either way, you find yourself with a junior Arnold Palmer looking to take up the game. And why not? Aside from encouraging children to get outside and be active, golf offers many other benefits like family fun, a lifetime hobby, and valuable life skills like focus, determination and patience. Here are a few tips to help youngsters get started the right way, save yourself some money and spend time enjoying the game together.

Golf

Practice Productively

Once they express interest in upping their golf game, make sure to get in practice time when the course isn’t busy so kids can drive, putt and chase to their heart’s content without holding up the groups behind you.

Keep It Fun

Get kids out on the green even if they only want to hit a few holes before hitting the club house. Make your time there enjoyable too! Give lots of praise and keep constructive criticism to a minimum. Instead, find something to compliment on each shot.

3657-201507150100120771 (1)

Coach at Their Level

Keep age in mind when coaching your child, get down to their level and watch how you say and what you say. Keep it simple, and if necessary, use visuals instead of verbals.

“Golf combines two favorite American pastimes; taking long walks and hitting things with a stick.” – P.J. O’Rourke

3657-201507150100120773 (1)

Give Them The Right Equipment

Golf clubs and accessories can be incredibly expensive. To keep kids in properly sized clubs, parents have had no alternative but to buy entirely new sets of clubs each time their child grows as little as 3 inches. If a child starts playing at age 6 or 7, the cost of clubs grows to more than $2000, easily an expense that many parents aren’t able to afford.

Also read:  Potty Training...The Struggle Is Real

Because of this, golf clubs tends to be an area that gets compromised either staying in clubs that are too short and light or getting the next size up thinking they’ll just grow into them. Unfortunately, it’s very important that kids are equipped with properly fitting gear. As kids grow, their clubs need to get longer and heavier. If kids play with equipment that’s too big or small, they develop bad habits.

Thankfully, there is a solution! Check out this Kickstarter by DV8 Sports. Their newest product, EPEC Upgradeable Junior Golf Clubs actually grows with your child. With their patented technology, junior golfers will only need to upgrade to a single, longer shaft and adjust iron heads using EPEC’s innovative head weighting system. Over the course of a junior golfer’s play, EPEC can save parents as much as 50-60 percent as compared to traditional alternatives.

Adjustable golf Clubs

A brilliant idea in it’s Kickstarter stages, you can get in on the ground floor and for a donation of just $200, contributors will receive a seven club set that will end up retailing for $350 after the Kickstarter campaign ends. So not only will parents save $150 now, but they also save thousands over the lifetime of their EPEC set.

Thank you EPEC Golf for sponsoring this conversation. All opinions remain our own.

24 thoughts on “Tips For Introducing Your Child to Golf”

1. These are great tips. My kids have played gold and really enjoyed themselves. I was surprised by how much they took to it. They won’t watch it on tv though, they say that’s boring.

2. My husband and I were just discussing this. He is an avid golfer and we want to introduce our seven year old to golf soon, it is such a great sport.

3. It is good to always encourage our children to get involved in sports. Mine are into basketball. My cousin is an avid golfer and his daughters are picking up the interest too. Thanks for sharing!

4. This is really brilliant – I never thought of golf for my son – because he was a bit insecure about group games like soccer, football, etc – this would probably have been really great!

5. Wow! I didn’t realize golf could be so expensive! But yes of course the equipment alone would cost quite a bit, and having to replace as the kids grow, makes sense. My kids both play hockey and that too is a pricey sport!

6. I encourage my son to play a golf with his uncles but he has a hectic schedule i hope someday he will play this sports

7. such a great tip this will really help, i was encouraging my son to play a golf with his grandfather but i think he wants to play golf also

8. My oldest has been making comments about wanting to try and learn how to golf. These are great ideas and tips to keep in mind!

9. I got my nephew a mini-golf set and he was pretty good at it. I thought at one point that my nephew would follow in the footsteps of a young Tiger Woods, but his interest was short-lived…and now soccer is his new thing.

10. Oh how fun! I haven’t even thought about golf with my kids but what a fun idea. I’m pretty sure this would be a blast with them. Great tips!

11. these are awesome – when my son was younger, I had him in lessons for a couple of summer s- he had a great time until kids started laughing at him once – that was it – he was one

12. My father was an avid golfer but never really showed us kids how to do it, though I wish he had. My son takes my grandson out from time to time so it’s nice watching them bond :)

13. These are great tips for someone who is into golf and want to teach there child …great hobbies for some people.

14. I had been considering golf for the children, but was clueless where to begin. Your tips will help me find the right lessons for them, Thanks!

15. These are great tips. My husband and I are active in sports and we are glad that our kids are active, too. They love to play bowling and they are training once a week.

16. These are all such great tips. We love sports and I hope to get my boys interested in golf since it was my Dad’s favorite hobby and it would be a way to connect them since he died before they were born.

17. My husband is very much into golf. Personally, I tried it and felt weird standing in the “proper position”. He wants to get our daughter into it. She’s 4, and he feels that if she gets into it now she will be really good when she gets older.

18. I love your list. I’ve been thinking about having my kids try this out if I can get a good price.

I am not really a fan of golfing, but I think it’s just because I haven’t been exposed to the experience of actually doing it.

Thanks for these ideas!

19. My kids love mini golf, but we have never tried actual golf with thm. I wonder if they would like it?

20. Growing up I had a friend who played golf (she was actually the best golfer in our High School and got a scholarship for college due to golf!) I’ve never played but I do think it’s important to get kids into sports/hobbies at a young age <3