I just got back from Puerto Vallarta and I’m already missing all the delicious Mexican food! So this week I’m going to try some mexican inspired recipes. For my Vegan fans, that means featuring another amazing recipe from my friend Carolyn! What I love about this recipe is that it’s a Mexican favorite with an interesting indian twist. If you try making it, definitely let me know what you think!
- 5 md sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/4c of vegan salsa verde or tomatillo sauce, plus 1 cup for baking dish and topping
- 2 1/2 (15oz) cans of black beans, drained
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Juice of one lime
- One tsp of cumin
- 3/4c shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped Cilantro, for garnish
- Steam cubed sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Once tender, pour into a bowl with turmeric, cardamom and cayenne, salsa verde and salt.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork until you have a creamy, slightly chunky consistency. Set Aside.
- Combine the beans, garlic, cumin and lime juice. Set Aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a baking dish with salsa verde.
- Place a tortilla into the baking dish, slathering it in sauce.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of the sweet potato mixture down the center.
- Top with a couple tablespoons of the black beans.
- Wrap and roll the tortilla to the end of the baking dish.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
- Top the finished tortillas with nearly all of salsa and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, top with cilantro and a bit more sauce and enjoy!
If you liked this recipe be sure to check out “The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen” for more delicious plant-based recipes from around the world.
This recipe and photo reposted with full permission from the author. Award winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, cookbook author, media spokesperson, holistic nutritionist, vegan chef and television personality, Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is a respected figure in the world of healthy lifestyle as well as special diet cooking and nutrition. With a highly acclaimed cookbook and travel show to her credit, Carolyn has traveled the world for her show, site and brand as well as to offer her services as a health and nutrition expert, recipe developer, writer, speaker, consultant and media spokesperson. The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!