The celebration of Earth Day on April 22nd began in the United States in 1970 and now it’s a global movement to take care of the planet we share. This year we’ve thought of a few fun ways to celebrate earth day.
Get in the Garden
Gardening is one of the most rewarding ways to celebrate Earth Day. Planting your own food is good for your health, it’s cost effective and gardening is a great way to reduce stress. Another great alternative are flower gardens. Flower gardens attract native bird life and pollinators. Lastly, Earth Day and Arbor Day are just right around the corner from each other – so what better time to plant a tree? Planting trees helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, cleans pollution.
Verizon Wireless offers an awesome resource with smartphone apps to help you have a successful gardening adventure from when to plant, weed, water and more.
Evaluate Your Carbon Footprint
Take a look around your home and ask yourself if there is any way to reduce your carbon footprint. Check out ways to further reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Swap plastic bags for reusable cloth bags. Keep them in the house and in the car so they’re available even for impromptu shopping trips.
- Shop your local farmers market. These foods have a lower carbon footprint than those shipped across the country. Plus, you’re giving back to your own community.
- Reuse drink containers and skip the bottled water.
- Find ways to reuse the waste you most often use, like coffee grounds and K-Cups!
- Check to see if your utility companies offer paperless billing. We take advantage of paperless through Verizon Wireless, our cable company and electric company. Even my doctors office is going paperless!
Educate Your Kids
Get them in the garden, make them part of your conservation efforts. Not only is it great bonding time but we’re leaving the planet to our kids. Getting them interested in protecting their home early establishes healthy habits for life. Pass down the reduce, reuse, recycle motto as words to live by.
I am a Verizon Lifestyle Blogger. All opinions remain my own.
9 thoughts on “3 Easy Ways to Celebrate Earth Day 2014”
Great tips, happy earth day. well it’s perfect coz spring is kicking in, however in my end seems like stealing tulips is new black. I was hoping my tulips would start blooming this week but it was all pulled and stolen including the bulb, so much for happy earth day for me. anyway i feel a lot of positive vibe in your post and i can still grow some other plants
I am in shock after evaluating my Carbon footprint :(
we really need to educate people around us and of course ourselves too, to keep our earth safe and healthy
So many good tips, and it is very important to spread the message to our little ones. It becomes habit for them when they’re used to it from a young age.
These Are Awesome Ideas Thank You!