I was so excited when I found this great deal on outdoor patio furniture at Target last fall (its called the Target Home Conservatory 4-Piece Patio Furniture Set: Blue). It was the end of the season and I was able to grab the entire set at a whopping 75% off.
Unfortunately, once I got it home and put together out on the deck, I just couldn’t shake the feeling that it just didn’t “go”. I hated that everything else was white and beachy, while this set was black and sort of dreary…
So I had a choice – I could try and sell my patio set and buy a new one OR I could just perform a makeover instead. Being on a budget, I went for the latter – and I am so happy I did! Because with just some spray paint, fun outdoor fabric, sewing machine and a sunny Saturday afternoon, I ended up with this instead :)
*NOTE* I have zero sewing skills. This was actually my very first sewing project – so if I can do it, you can too!
Best part is I can remove and wash these when they get dirty and I can easily make them in different colors in case I feel like changing things up again!
For those of you that want to try, here is a list of what I used and a step by step guide in pictures. Feel free to leave me a question (if you have any) and I’ll answer as best as I can!
- Rust-Oleum 7780830 Stops Rust, 12 oz. Spray, Flat White Clean Metal Primer (I used 6 cans total)
- Rust-Oleum 250702 Stops Rust, 12 oz. Spray, Gloss Pure White (I used 6 cans of “Satin” – it’s up to you. I think Gloss is easier to clean.)
- Outdoor fabric in your favorite pattern (I shop at Joann’s. They let you stack Joann’s Coupons or Michael’s Coupons with their sale prices so I was able to pick up my fabric for almost 75% off!)
- Sewing machine
- Foam pillow fillings
- Tarp (to protect the area you are spraying)
- Gloves (your hands get awful sticky and white without them :))
Step-by-step How To in Pictures